Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router Damaged?

This is a discussion on Router Damaged? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ive got old netgear white (DG834GT) from 2007 and suffer from many problems. Main one seems to be the noise ...

calitoxs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Genfield, Leicester (EMGLNFI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: 6 mixes + sport
      Thanks

Router Damaged?

Ive got old netgear white (DG834GT) from 2007 and suffer from many problems. Main one seems to be the noise margin syncing at 7db which I think it is supposed to, but then decreasing over time until it just drops at like 1-2db. Had BT out numerous times and the line is all ok. This possibly a router issue. When i moved house in 2008 i did drop the router and sometimes when you move it about bits rattle inside which is not goodm but it still seems to work.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2016 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 14.9 db 20.0 db

Stats atm it synced at 2mb this morning after it was having a few issues only connecting at 416kbps (DLM was my first thought) at 7db but then after a while and a few reboots later speed went up. Max i can get is 3200kbps, which is good for my attenuation. So is these drop outs cos router might be damaged or is a bit old?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router Damaged?

If you reboot your router with that noise margin your speed should go up, if it doesn't it means its capped. If it is, call Sky and ask them to raise your speed a bit. Changes in the noise margin are nearly always due to noise on your line, a faulty router is seldom to blame. BT will nearly always say the line is OK as they are only testing for faults which effect the voice performance, not broadband,

Have you tried plugging into your Test socket?
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yeah but i dont see how its the line the engineer showed me there is no problems with it. its plugged into the master socket with an NTE2000 faceplate. So i doubt its that. Im just not sure, I wonder if its worth talking to sky again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Its probably worth trying Sky on for a new router, but don't tell them you dropped it. Don't agree to pay for a new one either, just say your not happy being forced to use their router and having to pay for it, when you could easily buy a better router yourself.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

When you get through to CST and they see you still have the phase 1 from 2007, it'll basically be a straight replacement.

Thanks

Yes, I'll give them a ring on Monday. My godfather (friend of family) is a BT engineer he put the master socket on and did the line for our house, tbh hes not going to tell me lies, and he has check the line from house to green box (which is one of those overhead cables) and says its fine. Forgot to mention that in the first post. So the only thing i can think it is would be the router. I didn't realize 3 years was old for a router.

Thanks

Yep, its just been dropping out all evening no crackling on phone line or anything all fingers are pointing to the router or a problem at skys end.

New Stats...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1856 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 4.9 db 19.0 db

markm9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router: Sky Q hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Hi, when my bband speeds dropped down to between 500-600kbps, i rang sky on numerous occasions, about this, all cst said was that there was no problems with line, and i was not capped!!!!!, they wanted to charge me 28, for a new router, they would not move on this, so i moved isp now receiving speeds of around 3.6 mbps.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markm9 View Post
      Hi, when my bband speeds dropped down to between 500-600kbps, i rang sky on numerous occasions, about this, all cst said was that there was no problems with line, and i was not capped!!!!!, they wanted to charge me 28, for a new router, they would not move on this, so i moved isp now receiving speeds of around 3.6 mbps.
      It used to be at the agent's discretion as to whether they replace for free or not for OOW routers, unless that's changed as I've been away on holiday for a while. I can't even remember the last time I charged for an OOW router.

Thanks

Ok ive rang sky and spoke a delightful Indian chap who kept asking if my day was ok. He says my router was due for an upgrade anyway. And has posted one out to me and will arrive in 3-5 working days. Ive also spoke to BT and got them to send an engineer out to see if they can sort the cracking on my line. Any ideas which type of router this will be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast