Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awfully unstable connection...help?

This is a discussion on Awfully unstable connection...help? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had sky broadband for a month or two now, speed wise its brilliant, far beyond anything I've ever had ...

craigg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Awfully unstable connection...help?

I've had sky broadband for a month or two now, speed wise its brilliant, far beyond anything I've ever had at home before. In terms of reliability however...well that's a different story.
      With my old broadband provider it was a rare day when it would not work. Very rare indeed. I usually surfed with no connection problems whatsoever.
      With sky though...well there's never a day when the connection doesn't drop out at some point. All looks fine with the router though sky error pages appear telling me to try again in a few minutes, after those few minutes are passed I tend to be plagued by a constant onslaught of prompts to put in my router user name and password before I can get anything done- something which does no good, it tries to apply those to the website in question which is of course wrong.
      Sometimes when the connection goes off its just a few minutes before everything is working fine again, sometimes its completely not working for ages. Sometimes my computer says everything is working fine (though it is not), sometimes a error pops up saying there is no internet connection.

I'm using a wired connection to the modem, I've only got the one phone line which has afilter in it, I've tried switching to another one but it doesn't make any difference.
      The router is by sagem.

Does anyone have any idea what this problem could possibly be and how I can stop it?
      Its very annoying as it seems to have gotten worse and worse as time goes by, at first it happened nowhere near as often. It also has a nasty habit of being at its worst around noon...when I'm supposed to be having a online class.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Awfully unstable connection...help?

Post up router stats both from your normal position and from the test socket please. Links of how to do this will be found in the quick links on the left.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

All looks fine with the router though sky error pages appear telling me to try again in a few minutes, after those few minutes are passed I tend to be plagued by a constant onslaught of prompts to put in my router user name and password before I can get anything done-
      This is a problem which appears now and then with the Sagem router. Nobody seems to have discovered the exact cause. It could be connected to a failing PSU, or a glitch in the firmware. If you have a 12v PSU that will fit the router, try it, see if it makes any difference. You might also try resetting the router by pushing a biro into the reset hole on the rear, hold it there for 10 secs, or until the lights blink.

A replacement router may be the only cure.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here are the router stats.
      I'm not sure what you mean by normal position and test position though.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6141 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.5 db 17.9 db
      Noise Margin 9.4 db 19.3 db

Thanks

Thanks

Your sync is very low for your attenuation, but unless you are getting a lot of noise spikes your high noise margin should prevent drop outs. Plugging into your Test socket, using only the cable and filter supplied by Sky, will show how much your internal wiring is interfering.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ack, I've investigated and it turns out there is a master socket elsewhere in the house to the one I've always used. Its in a really inconvenient place for connecting to my computer though and I don't have wireless....damn...
      So...sky broadband has to use this master slot? Could I fix my problems with plugging it in there and fitting a wireless adapter to my computer?

Thanks

You might fix it, but we dont know without seeing stats from there.
      You may want to look at homeplugs as the alternative to wireless.

Thanks

If you have an NTE5 socket, it would be worth your while asking a friend with a laptop to come in and check your stats. Depending on the results we could give you better advice. As things are your are only getting about half the speed you should.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

True, guess I could try that some day.

A thought; if its this modem that sucks...I do still have my older router from my old internet. Is it possible to set up sky internet on anoter router? Is it possible to find out the various settings you need to do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast