Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ReadyNAS Duo NAS and Sky D-Link DSL-2640S Router. Compatible?

This is a discussion on ReadyNAS Duo NAS and Sky D-Link DSL-2640S Router. Compatible? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm new to Sky. Setup and everything went fine but I'm having a few problems with my NAS. I've ...

kraized is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWWXC
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

ReadyNAS Duo NAS and Sky D-Link DSL-2640S Router. Compatible?

Hi,

I'm new to Sky. Setup and everything went fine but I'm having a few problems with my NAS. I've asked for help on the Netgear forums as well but just thought you guys might be able to help too.

I've recently moved house and now using the above router you get from Sky. For some reason, my ReadyNAS Duo doesn't want to play nice with this router. I use a static IP on the RND and have updated all the settings appropriately. The RND doesn't seem to want to broadcast any services through this router. For example, the backup partition for Time Machine doesn't appear as an available disk in the TM preferences on OSX and hence no backups occur. With AFP enabled the RND appears in the Sidebar of the Finder, but when I go and select it a few seconds later the RND disappears and it won't connect. I can connect by using the 'Connect to Server' in the Finder but why won't it work the other way when it did fine with my previously connected Belkin router. ReadyDLNA service also doesn't appear on my PS3 even though it's enabled.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: ReadyNAS Duo NAS and Sky D-Link DSL-2640S Router. Compatible?

Anyone have any ideas how to solve the problem. Someone on the Netgear forums suggested adding an Ethernet switch but that hasn't solved the problem. If my NAS drive isn't ever going to work with this router I may have to cancel Sky and go elsewhere.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'm afraid you have two things working against you, 1, its a new router and few have experience of it yet. It could be faulty, for the number that have been put out there seems to be an awful lot of complaints about it. Try phoning Sky, they might not be able to help, but they may send you another router. If you got a Sagem or Netgear you could even use your Belkin to connect.
      2, You are using a Mac, which few of us have any experience with

A work around might be to piggy-back your Belkin on to the Sky router and see if the NAS will connect that way. Give the Belkin an IP address in the Dlinks range, say 192.168.0.254, turn off its DHCP and connect one of its ethernet ports to one of the Dlink's, Connect your NAS to the Belkin and see if you have any more luck.. I have to doubt it will as its similar to using a switch, but it is worth a try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Ensured Upnp is enabled on the router?
      I'm sure it's similar to the problem I had with my PS3 and DLNA not working through the netgear, upnp was off once enabled all worked fine.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I'm afraid you have two things working against you, 1, its a new router and few have experience of it yet. It could be faulty, for the number that have been put out there seems to be an awful lot of complaints about it. Try phoning Sky, they might not be able to help, but they may send you another router. If you got a Sagem or Netgear you could even use your Belkin to connect.
      2, You are using a Mac, which few of us have any experience with

A work around might be to piggy-back your Belkin on to the Sky router and see if the NAS will connect that way. Give the Belkin an IP address in the Dlinks range, say 192.168.0.254, turn off its DHCP and connect one of its ethernet ports to one of the Dlink's, Connect your NAS to the Belkin and see if you have any more luck.. I have to doubt it will as its similar to using a switch, but it is worth a try.
      I've emailed Sky, I'm just waiting on a response. I have the same problem from my Windows 7 machine. I'll try the Belkin idea and also I'll try connecting my lappy up via hardwire to see if it's a wireless problem.

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Ensured Upnp is enabled on the router?
      I'm sure it's similar to the problem I had with my PS3 and DLNA not working through the netgear, upnp was off once enabled all worked fine.
      I've checked and UPnP is enabled.

Thanks

Tried the Belkin. No worky. Tried hardwired. No worky.

Is it possible to use the D-Link just as an ADSL modem and use the Belkin as the DHCP server and Wireless Access Point? I guessing no as there is no Uplink port on the D-Link. :/

Thanks

I've sorted it. All working now fingers crossed. The Default Gateway and DNS entries in the NAS settings were not getting populated properly from the router. I thought they were as they had entries that were different from the Belkin settings. I found a DNS entry in the router settings. Added this to the NAS along with the proper Default Gateway and all seems to be working now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is it possible to use the D-Link just as an ADSL modem and use the Belkin as the DHCP server and Wireless Access Point? I guessing no as there is no Uplink port on the D-Link. :/
      You are correct, it will not work with an ADSL router. You can use it as a wireless access point, by simply piggy backing it, but you have to turn off DHCP.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

As soon as one problem is solved another occurs.

Anyway, I'm having problems with Time Machine not backing up properly to my NAS. If I connect the NAS directly to the Mac via hardwire. TM initiates and starts backing up fine. If I connect via router via hardwire or wirelessly. The backup initiates but then stops with errors because the drive disconnects.

It looks like the router is not keeping a constant connection to the NAS but I'm not sure why.