Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drop Connection Every 28 Minutes

This is a discussion on Drop Connection Every 28 Minutes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I'm new here, great forum. I have a Sagem router. Every 28 minutes my connection drops briefly. When I ...

tonyg1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01727
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Drop Connection Every 28 Minutes

Hi

I'm new here, great forum.

I have a Sagem router.

Every 28 minutes my connection drops briefly. When I am on my work computer this means I have to disconnect and reconnect to the work VPN.

I've timed it and it is really consistent at 28 minutes.

From the great info here I learned how to log onto the router.

Also from here I suspected upnp, for which the advertisement period was set to refresh every 30 minutes (suspiciously), so I turned that off. No joy. Then I set the advertisement period to 1440 minutes. But no I still lose VPN connecivity every 28 minutes.

I've been with Sky a few months and never had a stable connection. The 28 minutes thing may be new although I've never timed it before.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Any help appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Drop Connection Every 28 Minutes

Is it dropping as in orange light on the router? are you on ethernet or wireless?

Thanks

I'm not sure if the router has an orange light. I'll try to check this although if it does it must only show it briefly as it's normally all green.

I notice it dropping because I lose all connectivity to my work stuff over vpn: MSN Messenger, Outlook, etc. As soon as I disconnect and reconnect the work VPN it works again for 28 more minutes.

As soon as I noticed the problem I stopped using wireless and stuck an ethernet cable in. Same problem. Although I only started timing it once the cable was in.

Maximus007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

You need to post us your router statistics, sounds like an attention problem to me.

To post your statistics log into your router, scroll to the bottom and select show statistics. A window will open up print screen that and post it here.

Thanks

Stats should be shown in attachment to this message. I hope.

Just to let you know, this is done from another computer, my work laptop no longer plugged in.

Same router though.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drop Connection Every 28 Minutes-tgstats.jpg  

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Check your physical setup, that noise margin is way too low. Make sure filters are on all sockets in use on your line and that nothing is on the line before the filter. Make sure if you have sky tv that it's telephone SPLITTER is in the filter as some people think the cable adaptor that goes to the tv box is a filter. If you have a test socket post a set of stats from there.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Looks like he's on MER from those, not too long ago someone else reported problems which resetting the router fixed. So try resetting the router using the hole on the back, incidentally from those stats your uptime is 3 hours and doesnt concur with your saying it disconnects every 28 minutes!

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

PaulSky

I don't have a Sky TV plugged into the phone.

My router is plugged into the socket in the hall with a filter (router plugged into modem, phone into the other). Nothing else is plugged in in the house.

I rebooted (not reset) the router last night and the noise level is now higher, see attached from within the last hour. I saw a thread about making the noise level set itself high by rebooting in the evening.

simonmpoulton

I see what you say about the stats indicating it has been up a long time. So it isn't disconnecting fully. Perhaps it slows down to a point where my work VPN kicks me out.

It really did that every 28 minutes and x seconds yesterday. I timed it all day long. That's why I thought npnp was the problem with it being set to 30 minutes.

By the way I work for a blue chip company and many other people were working from home yesterday with no problems.

I have always noticed a rubbish connection on my home laptop, slowing down, orange triangle (local internet only) sporadically appearing. I haven't used my work laptop at home for a few months, until Thurs/Friday when it has been behaving as I described.

I just tried the work laptop this morning (Saturday). I lost connectivity to Messenger, Outlook etc within 30 mins. I can't always get an exact timing. I got it back by disconnecting/reconnecting to the VPN using 'connect to'.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drop Connection Every 28 Minutes-tg-stats-3.jpg  

Thanks

If I reset the router using the hole in the back what are the risks that it won't work when it comes back?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is no risk that it wont work, but you will loose all your personal settings, open ports, schedules, passwords etc. If you have a lot of personal settings, back up your settings to the Desktop so you can put them back easily after the reset.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast