Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Have I missed out ?

This is a discussion on Have I missed out ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Recently changed supplier from broadband supplied by my employer (2mb) to Sky unlimited. Received letter from sky confirming changeover date ...

Smithford is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Have I missed out ?

Recently changed supplier from broadband supplied by my employer (2mb) to Sky unlimited.
      Received letter from sky confirming changeover date and giving estimated speed of 6mb.
      Had a few problems along the way - day 1 changeover commenced at 9.30am and plugged in new Sky router it worked for about 30 seconds then would stop and not connect I left it for several hours then phoned Sky in the afternoon to be told service may not be activated yet - leave it until later.

By 8pm still no change and rang them again - told them I beleived there to be a fault with the (Sagem) router - after 30 minutes of try this / try that the guy concluded that there was a fault with the router and a replacement would be sent.

Borrowed a router off a friend and thanks to the info on this site was able to access the Internet until the second router arrived - very unhappy to receive a second hand Sagem unit and wrote to sky accordingly - a third this time new D Link unit was received at the weekend and so far so good is working fine.

Just wondering however with all of the changing of routers, reseting etc etc - have I missed out on the 10 day line traning period ? Speed tests indicate getting 6mb although Router stats show 7mb as below:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7007 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.5db 29.3db
      Noise Margin 6.6db 13.0db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,587 Posts

Re: Have I missed out ?

That is probably all you will get, in fact, it may drop a bit.

You will never get the sync speed as throughput. There are overheads required to allow ADSL to work properly, these can account for 10 to 15% of your sync speed. 6Mb from a 7000kbps sync is not to bad.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.