Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Have I missed out ?

This is a discussion on Have I missed out ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Recently changed supplier from broadband supplied by my employer (2mb) to Sky unlimited. Received letter from sky confirming changeover date ...

Smithford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Have I missed out ?

Recently changed supplier from broadband supplied by my employer (2mb) to Sky unlimited.
      Received letter from sky confirming changeover date and giving estimated speed of 6mb.
      Had a few problems along the way - day 1 changeover commenced at 9.30am and plugged in new Sky router it worked for about 30 seconds then would stop and not connect I left it for several hours then phoned Sky in the afternoon to be told service may not be activated yet - leave it until later.

By 8pm still no change and rang them again - told them I beleived there to be a fault with the (Sagem) router - after 30 minutes of try this / try that the guy concluded that there was a fault with the router and a replacement would be sent.

Borrowed a router off a friend and thanks to the info on this site was able to access the Internet until the second router arrived - very unhappy to receive a second hand Sagem unit and wrote to sky accordingly - a third this time new D Link unit was received at the weekend and so far so good is working fine.

Just wondering however with all of the changing of routers, reseting etc etc - have I missed out on the 10 day line traning period ? Speed tests indicate getting 6mb although Router stats show 7mb as below:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7007 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.5db 29.3db
      Noise Margin 6.6db 13.0db

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Have I missed out ?

That is probably all you will get, in fact, it may drop a bit.

You will never get the sync speed as throughput. There are overheads required to allow ADSL to work properly, these can account for 10 to 15% of your sync speed. 6Mb from a 7000kbps sync is not to bad.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.