Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Odd router logs

This is a discussion on Odd router logs within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes I have NS installed and it would coincide with the last time I updated this. This is really odd ...

Digger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Odd router logs

Yes I have NS installed and it would coincide with the last time I updated this.
      This is really odd but your IP and mine are different, yours ends in a 5 though and mine is a 2?

I am definitely relived if this is indeed the case, but now I have to wonder does this eat into my Download limit?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The last number is the address allocated to a particular machine. In my case it is the address of my Wireless adapter which I was using at the time, my ethernet adapter address is '2'.

It will not effect your download limit, as it is not downloading anything.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah my wireless must be 2 then!
      Brilliant, glad we got to the bottom of this
      Though the email says "every 5 minutes" and ours is every 25.
      Though if it was more frequent that would be even more alarming!

Thank you all for your help at finally getting to the bottom of this.

Cartroo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
      Ah my wireless must be 2 then!
      Brilliant, glad we got to the bottom of this
      Though the email says "every 5 minutes" and ours is every 25.
      Though if it was more frequent that would be even more alarming!

Thank you all for your help at finally getting to the bottom of this.
      You're quite welcome, Digger - and yes, I was a little puzzled by the 5 vs. 25 minutes thing, but it's possible the author was thinking of a different version of NoScript or something. Speaking from experience, it gets tricky to keep track when you're working on software that's often 2-3 versions ahead of what half the people out there are using.

Yes, the internal numbers your PCs have on the local network (the ones that all start 192.168.0) are from what's called a private address range. Normally those addresses (called IP addresses) needs to be unique across the whole Internet, but because you're using a home router it's using technology called NAT to "hide" all those private addresses behind your one public IP address which is given to you by Sky - that public address is what I've been referring to as the WAN IP address. So, there's no chance your private addresses will conflict with anybody else's (since nobody outside your router sees them).

These local IPs are assigned automatically by a system called DHCP. As an aside, Sky probably uses something similar their end to assign your router its WAN IP address as well. Because it all happens automatically there's nothing really for you to worry about, but I figured you might be interested how it works. Of course maybe not, but I don't mind wasting 5 minutes of typing.

The requests that NoScript is making are going to this WAN IP address. So they're going into the private port on your router, towards the public one but the router recognises that the address it's going to is actually it's own WAN IP and not something out on the Internet, so it doesn't go up your Internet connection to Sky.

So, it doesn't eat into your download limit.

It sounds to me like if your WAN IP address changes, NoScript will make a request on the public Internet to find out what your new address is. This will theoretically count against your download limit - in practice it's likely to be a few hundred bytes, so the actual effect is totally negligable. Loading the BBC homepage once uses 10 or more times that amount. Also, your WAN IP address should very rarely change, as long as Sky have their system set up sensibly (usually ISPs try to keep the same IP with the same user).

In short, nothing to worry about. I certainly wouldn't disable NoScript's support for this feature, it's actually trying to protect you against malicious web pages getting access to your home router (this would be a bad thing). This also highlights that it's probably a good idea to change your router's admin password away from the default, and to something reasonably secure. My advice is to write it down on a Post-It and stick it on the router in case you forget - normally not a good idea with passwords, but in this case I would say pretty safe, and since you might not use it that often it's easier to forget.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the explanation Cartroo I was quite worried that there was something bad lurking on my PC, and I am relieved you found out what it was, I was quite at a lost after doing what I could, to try and lock down the source!

moody_mark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thanks for this useful post, this was bugging me too. I was seeing the same scenario coming from a Linux machine. I was getting concerned, fyi my netstat output looked like below, so nothing rogue running that I could see.

Code:
      curtis@Bart:~$ sudo netstat -atup
      Active Internet connections (servers and established)
      Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
      tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN      2152/sshd       
      tcp        0      0 *:ipp                   *:*                     LISTEN      2764/cupsd      
      tcp        0      0 localhost:smtp          *:*                     LISTEN      2412/exim4      
      tcp        0    240 Bart.local:ssh          Homer.local:47956       ESTABLISHED 4144/sshd: curtis [
      tcp6       0      0 [::]:netbios-ssn        [::]:*                  LISTEN      2447/smbd       
      tcp6       0      0 [::]:ssh                [::]:*                  LISTEN      2152/sshd       
      tcp6       0      0 [::]:ipp                [::]:*                  LISTEN      2764/cupsd      
      tcp6       0      0 [::]:microsoft-ds       [::]:*                  LISTEN      2447/smbd       
      udp        0      0 Bart.local:netbios-ns   *:*                                 2443/nmbd       
      udp        0      0 *:netbios-ns            *:*                                 2443/nmbd       
      udp        0      0 Bart.local:netbios-dgm  *:*                                 2443/nmbd       
      udp        0      0 *:netbios-dgm           *:*                                 2443/nmbd       
      udp        0      0 *:bootpc                *:*                                 2953/dhclient   
      udp        0      0 *:mdns                  *:*                                 2740/avahi-daemon: 
      udp        0      0 *:ipp                   *:*                                 2764/cupsd      
      udp        0      0 *:43135                 *:*                                 2740/avahi-daemon:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

LinkBacks (?)