Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can anyone make any sense of this?

This is a discussion on Can anyone make any sense of this? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So I just got activated on sky a few days ago. Now normally we keep our router up near my ...

LycanSoldier is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can anyone make any sense of this?

So I just got activated on sky a few days ago. Now normally we keep our router up near my Mac and Xbox 360 so I can use Ethernet cables for them (I'm fond of wired connections). This uses a large series of extensions into the room.

So I hook up the router and my internet is going a nice 400kb/s (which is pretty fast for my area). This speed is perfect for me and my internet needs. The next day I come back on my mac and run a speed check once more, disappointingly the speed has fallen down to 260kb/s, but I reassure myself it will get better after the 10 day sky line test business.

This speed keeps steady for a few days, but being an avid gamer, I start lagging occasionally due to the connection not being too great. So I logically move the router downstairs to the master socket to try and pick up a better connection, I set it all up and run my speed test and speed shoots upto 350kb/s, initially looking good, I run the test through again and my Ping skyrockets to over 1000ms and my speed falls slower than dial up!

This literally baffled me, so I opened up my master socket and tried the test plug, this yielded even worse results. I flick through different connections and filters and all the lot to no success. My speed is worse when plugged directly into the master socket.

Now I'm aware my line may not have been adjusted and such as I am still <10 days activated. But surely this isn't right?

Here are the stats off the router when connected to the master socket
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3071 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0db 23.9db
      Noise Margin 21.7db 22.5db

I'm currently leaving my router there to see if improvement happens. But the extensions stats were something like
      Connection Downstream 2000kbps
      Line Attentuation (Down) 50db
      Noise Margin (Down) 9db
      (Note this is based off my memory and may be wrong)

Any insight into this problem is much appreciated. Thank You.

--EDIT--
      I also forgot to include as of now (plugged into the master socket). My internet appears to be selective of which pages to load, with a lot of websites bringing up the Server Not Found error message

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Can anyone make any sense of this?

The more times you disconnect the router during the 10 day test period will make DLM think your connection keeps dropping and so may try a lower speed to see if that's any stabler.

The TEST sockt is giving you a lower attenuation, so leave it there and let DLM do it's stuff otherwise DLM will think you've got a poor and unstable connection.

You may already have done too much damage so you might have to call Sky AFTER the 10 days and tell them that your line needs manual cofig and that DLM got it wrong due to the many reboots you did.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      The more times you disconnect the router during the 10 day test period will make DLM think your connection keeps dropping and so may try a lower speed to see if that's any stabler.

The TEST sockt is giving you a lower attenuation, so leave it there and let DLM do it's stuff otherwise DLM will think you've got a poor and unstable connection.

You may already have done too much damage so you might have to call Sky AFTER the 10 days and tell them that your line needs manual cofig and that DLM got it wrong due to the many reboots you did.
      I'll keep this in mind, but before I disconnected my router, I did visit the MySky webpage to check what was going on with my line and under a section it said no line test was currently in progress, so I assumed it safe. I'm not sure how this process works so I could have been wrong to have taken out.

That being said, currently my connection jitters (according to speedtest.net) anywhere between 320kb/s - 10kb/s, so if this DLM lowers my speed, why would I jitter upto 320 every so often?

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The mysky web page can be weeks behind in terms of what is happening with DLM

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

DLM will keep trying higher and lower speeds until it finds the most stable.

With an attenuation of 42db, you should ultimately get 8Mb (SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator), so quite a bit more than current.

The best connection is the hidden test socket beneath the master socket faceplate.

If MySky says's it's not testing, then you could call Sky now and ask for manual config of your line. You want 8Mb for attenuation of 42db and thenyour Noise Margin should drop from 21db down to around 7db.

Exchange:
      Thanks

DLM will keep trying higher and lower speeds until it finds the most stable.

With an attenuation of 42db, you should ultimately get 8Mb (SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator), so quite a bit more than current.

The best connection is the hidden test socket beneath the master socket faceplate.

If MySky says's it's not testing, then you could call Sky now and ask for manual config of your line. You want 8Mb for attenuation of 42db and thenyour Noise Margin should drop from 21db down to around 7db.
      And I should leave the call to sky until after the 10 days are up?

I'd also like to say that soon we will actually be moving the master socket into my own room and due to some of our outdated wiring (BT cut some corners) which has been slowing us down for quite some time and for the luxury of me having a wired connection, so with this included, should I phone up sky after this is completed or just after this 10 day period?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Personally,I'd wait until you've had the re-wiring done otherwise you'll hve to phon twice.

Post back with the router stats after the re-wiring so we can advise on what you should be able to achieve and how to approach the phone call.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Personally,I'd wait until you've had the re-wiring done otherwise you'll hve to phon twice.

Post back with the router stats after the re-wiring so we can advise on what you should be able to achieve and how to approach the phone call.
      Thank you very much for the help, i'd been scouting around the web for days looking for an answer. I would have come here first if I knew it'd be so quick and efficient!