Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recent Drop In Broadband Speed

This is a discussion on Recent Drop In Broadband Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, I've been browsing this forum for months, and it's been a great source of help - but this ...

IanR90 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01384
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Recent Drop In Broadband Speed

Hi Guys,

I've been browsing this forum for months, and it's been a great source of help - but this is my first post:

I've recently noticed an extreme drop in speed with my broadband package. I'm signed up for 20mbps, and like pretty much everyone else, I don't get anywhere near that. The actual figure is close to 2.5mbps - which is appalling!

Anyway, I learnt to live with the horrible speeds until the last 2-3 days, where it all seems to have gone wrong. I've been getting random disconnections, and my MAX download speed has been 724kbps, at some obscure early morning time. For the majority, I've regularly been as low as 200kbps, making my gaming and browsing an absolute nightmare.

Has anybody else noticed a recent drop in broadband speeds? I live in the Dudley area if that helps, and I've made no recent changes to my broadband set-up or package...

Cheers,
      Ian

2. Advertisement
      Arbitron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Recent Drop In Broadband Speed

Quote Originally Posted by IanR90 View Post
      I'm signed up for 20mbps, and like pretty much everyone else, I don't get anywhere near that. The actual figure is close to 2.5mbps - which is appalling!
      meh, it's good enough. You're signed up for up to 20Mbps. It all depends on the distance from the exchange and quality of the line. Unless they screwed it up when they connected it at the exchange, you'll get about the same speed from any other ISP (unless there's cable in your area.)
      Anyway, I learnt to live with the horrible speeds until the last 2-3 days, where it all seems to have gone wrong. I've been getting random disconnections, and my MAX download speed has been 724kbps, at some obscure early morning time.
      Things this could be (in the order you should check):
      1:Wireless interference throwing up a lot of errors - if you use wireless networking try connecting with an ethernet cable, or check the router status page to see what your actual downstream connection speed is. When you say random disconnections, is it the PC that reports them, or is the router's internet light changing from green to orange/off?
      2:faulty equipment in your home - disconnect everything and plug the router into the BT test socket. if you have a spare microfilter, swap it out. If speed improves, you have something broken connected to the phone line in your home - trial and error should establish what it is.
      3: an actual PSTN or ADSL fault. contact Sky tech support, who will ask you to do steps 1 and 2 first anyway, if you haven't done them.

EDIT: As simonmpoulton points out, knowing your actual router stats helps a lot, so please post those.
      Last edited by Arbitron; 06-09-10 at 01:47 AM.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Before you do anything please post up a set of router stats from both your current position and another set from the master test socket (links how to do this are in the quicklinks on the left)

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Post your router stats and also check on the Sky website that you are on Unlimited and not on Sky Connect.