Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to sky - speed problems

This is a discussion on New to sky - speed problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I switched from orange where I was getting around 3.5mb. The Sky broadband has been in place for a ...

jt78963 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle East
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New to sky - speed problems

Hi

I switched from orange where I was getting around 3.5mb. The Sky broadband has been in place for a couple of weeks and during the testing period the connection speed went up and down, as expected. The package is 20mb Unlimited.

Now, the speeds we are getting are worse than with Orange, yet according to Sky and line speed predictors we should be getting much faster (Sky said 10-20mb). Here is the line stats from the Sagem router:

Connection Speed 4095 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 17.2 db
      Noise Margin 12.4 db 17.4 db

My exchange is Newcastle East, and LoS I am around 600 metres away.
      The router is upstairs on an extension. I tried taking it downstairs and using the master socket but there was no improvement. I did not use the test socket.

Here is a speed test result from 1pm:
      Download Speed: 3541 kbps (442.6 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 661 kbps (82.6 KB/sec

I understand that it is peak time, but I did a test last night at 12.30am and the speeds were even slow.

So, what should I do to get faster speeds? Do I need to ring Sky and get them to resync the line when the router is downstairs at the master socket?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New to sky - speed problems

Ok, a couple of points, firtly, it is an UPTO 20mb package, it could be 1mb it could be 20mb, that depends on your line and setup.

Also, Sky LLU has no peak periods, it is full whack all day every day.

You need to post your stats from the TEST socket regardless on if the speed changes, the speed looks capped by DLM due to noise on the line which could have been caused by you using the extension, this is not a good way to connect the router.

Even with your current stats you should be getting more so I expect that the extension is the problem, get that sorted and you should see 10+mb.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Ok, a couple of points, firtly, it is an UPTO 20mb package, it could be 1mb it could be 20mb, that depends on your line and setup.

Also, Sky LLU has no peak periods, it is full whack all day every day.

You need to post your stats from the TEST socket regardless on if the speed changes, the speed looks capped by DLM due to noise on the line which could have been caused by you using the extension, this is not a good way to connect the router.

Even with your current stats you should be getting more so I expect that the extension is the problem, get that sorted and you should see 10+mb.
      I know that is is 'up to' but my point was that Sky and BT reckon we should be getting at least 10mb, so I knew there must be a problem.

I had a feeling the extension was the problem, and that sky would have configured our connection incorrectly because of it.

I'll connect the router to the test socket and see what the stats are and post them. Should they be any different? What should change and what shouldn't?

Thanks for your help. It's appreciated.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Should they be any different? What should change and what shouldn't?
      You downstream noise margin should go up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ok here are the stats from the test socket:

Line Attenuation 31.5 db 16.8 db
      Noise Margin 14.9 db 18.3 db

and here are the ones from upstairs on the extension again:

Line Attenuation 33.5 db 17.2 db
      Noise Margin 12.4 db 17.4 db

Thanks

You will notice that your noise margin has gone up and the attenuation down. This means that your extension is interfering with the connection. Your best solution would be to buy and use a filtered faceplate on the Master socket.
      If using your Master is not feasible, you could try leaving it plugged into the Test socket and ask Sky to configure your connection. They should be able to raise your speed quite a bit. When they have done that, put it back into the extension socket and see how it runs from there. I would not normally suggest this, but as there is only a couple of dbs difference in your figures it may work. Sky are a bit conservative with their noise margin, so you may find it drops a bit in the extension, but still give you a reasonable speed.
      If this does not work well, all you can do is fit a faceplate and either run an ethernet cable to your PC or use a Homeplug network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I agree with Isitme, plug into the test socket and ring Sky now to get it configured manually, tell them you have repaired your wiring. Then if needed you can sort this out later.

Thanks

I suppose I could do that. How long would I need to leave it in the test socket?
      Also, the master socket is an iplate so it doesn't need replacing. Forgot to add that I am already using an ethernet cable to the PC.
      Last edited by jt78963; 05-09-10 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks

Just realised that the iplate is not a filtered faceplate. Would it be worth getting one if the difference is only a few db?

Thanks

Dump the iPlate and get a filtered faceplate which will give you the same results as the Test socket. It may not seem much but 2 dbs could be worth 600-1200kb in speed. Add to that the fact that internal wiring is subject to interference at different times. You might find completely different figures if you take the figures in the extension socket at different times of the day. You may also get differences in the Test socket but, unlike internal wiring, you can't do much about it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast