Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Great Stats - Slow Broadband

This is a discussion on Great Stats - Slow Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; There's nothing physical to change, it's a system profile change that's needed...sounds like they're stalling...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Great Stats - Slow Broadband

There's nothing physical to change, it's a system profile change that's needed...sounds like they're stalling
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      scub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bloxham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ok, just had the call from Sky.

Apparently it needs an engineer visit because the problem might be at my house (even tho they admit its unlikely given its a new build that only had a line installed 4 weeks ago by an engineer who tested it there and then)....

They are going to call me back at 7:30pm after they wait for one more test result to come in??!!!

I asked what profile I'm on and they said adsl500. I suggested that must be the problem and perhaps I should be on adslMAX, however they say the problem is with my router syncing with the exchange. Apparently it can only sync at upto 576kbps so being on adsl500 makes no difference. And even on adsl500 I should be able to get speeds upto 8mbps...wtf ??!! I asked if they could try it on adslMAX to see what happens but they said it was not possible.

My stats again:

Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 4 db 2 db
      Noise Margin 29 db 23 db

also, funnily enough, he suggested I was 1km from the exchange. Given I can see it from my house and its all but 75 meters away, thats some hell of a loop they've put in to connect it to the house!!!

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't know why you are being put through this. You are on the wrong product its as simple as that. If the so called technician can't see that he must be blind. For goodness sake, you have about the lowest attenuation I have seen and a noise margin of nearly 30dbs. You have been unlucky enough to fall into the hands of some complete idiots.

Take my earlier advice, get yourself over to Plusnet or IDnet and you will have the maximum speed in no time at all. A threat to cancel may make them really look at what is happening.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

right... finally spoke to someone today that:
      a) was helpful
      b) thought three weeks to solve my issue without success is not good enough
      c) actually knew what they were doing and.....
      d) spoke to a manager and confirmed "yes, your line is capped, let me get them to remove it now"

So, that's in process and now I just have to wait (again) but at least with some optimism. Will let you know if its a false hope.....!

Thanks

....by the way, when the engineer came round on Monday to check the line (and confirmed no faults and a good line) he said I should be able to get close to 8mb a second once the default setting of 0.5mbps is removed, because...... get this.... on his little handheld line checking machine, my line attenuation was 0. yes, 'zero'.

I did tell them I was 50m from the exchange.....

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

scub
      Hi he will get Bt to remove the cap and to reprofile your line and that will take approx 72hrs and then someone will ring you to make sure everything is ok. That is a great Attenuation. The lowest I have heard about is 2db

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123