Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Unlimited, Strange disconnection problems need help!

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Unlimited, Strange disconnection problems need help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; -- Summary -- This issue has been resolved so I will summarise what happened here in order to make it ...

Gibson8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Unlimited, Strange disconnection problems need help! - [Resolved]

-- Summary --
      This issue has been resolved so I will summarise what happened here in order to make it easy to read.

-- Problem --
      The problem was the connection kept dropping briefly every hour or so causing disconnections with programs such as Skype and online games.

-- Cause --
      Sky must have recently changed their network type as part of an update, If your network type is listed as MER then it has been updated, however they must have gone back on the update as when you reset it, it will go back to PPPoA network type instead of MER.

-- Solution --
      In order to fix all of this, You need to get a pen and hold down the reset button for 50 Seconds whilst the router is powered on, Then release it. When the network is back up you should see the network type has returned to PPPoA, and the end of your problems.

If your wondering, The firmware version should be 2.6Sky too and this was done on a Black Sagem Router.

-- Original Post --

Hello this is my first time here

Quite recently [Last two days or so] I have been randomly losing my connection then being re-connected, As I play online games this causes me to disconnect and all sorts of problems start to occur

I checked the log right after I disconnected and was slightly puzzled by this;

Sep 4 23:45:00 (none) user.alert syslog: HTTP log in from LAN:
      <IP Hidden for Security>

The IP it displays is not identical to the routers but it is close, This timestamp was exactly the same time that I disconnected, Could anyone help me find the source of the problem?

[This is computer-wide, Not on just one of my PC's] Thanks!

-- End of Original Post --
      Last edited by Gibson8; 06-09-10 at 06:10 PM. Reason: problem solved

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Unlimited, Strange disconnection problems need help!

Gibson8
      Hi can you do a How to get your router statistics copy and paste to your next post.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sep 4 23:45:00 (none) user.alert syslog: HTTP log in from LAN:
      <IP Hidden for Security>
      Are you sure this was not your own PC? Did you check the address against the attached devices?

There is no risk of security with a LAN address by the way. With the Sky router they can be anything from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254. These are simply the addresses of the devices plugged into your router. If you get a message like that from an external IP address, it means your router has been hacked.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey again

After looking into it this was a proper connection in the log [Recently changed Log settings so I got confused]

More details:
      Apparently, More people with Sky Broadband are briefly losing connection also as well as this I have tried another channel which didn't work and I am about to try another filter.

STATISTICS

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6602 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 17.6 db
      Noise Margin 9.0 db 16.1 db

I have not called sky yet either, I also seem to have lost access to my Sky Player, Apparently I do not have the right package to view any channels whereas before I could view all the ones I had on my TV package that were on the sky player.

I've noticed the connection has changed from PPoA to MER too.
      As I said above I have tested this with other computers as well and these suffer from the same problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I've noticed the connection has changed from PPoA to MER too.
      I have read somewhere on the Forum that Sky are implementing this. Has your firmware been updated?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Firmware Version 2.6Sky

That's all I found about it, Weather this is new or not I do not know however I haven't done anything to it

If your wondering, It's a Black Sagem router, [Unsure of the Model] Which sky gave us

Edit: I just timed the drops, The first one was after 27 Minuites then it did it again after 31 minutes
      Also, If you have any logging tools I could use to see what happened to a certain aspect i.e line noise at the time it would be useful
      Last edited by Gibson8; 05-09-10 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks

I am pretty sure that is the new firmware. It is possible they have still not ironed out the bugs. I am sure someone who has the Sagem will say if it is the new firmware or not.

One way to tell is if you go to the Wireless settings, you should now have WPA2 available as an option under the Security Options.

You can get Routerstats Lite, from here which allows you to monitor your connection
      http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/fi...outerstatslite

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

WPA2-PSK (AES)
      WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed Mode)

These are the two WPA2 security modes listed.

Also the micro filter made no difference, It still drops every 30 mins or so. Will post when I have monitored what happens when it drops

Edit: It just happened again, The line noise spiked but by a very small amount, By about 0.1db on both Upstream and Downstream and the connection speed was consistent.

I have no idea why this keeps happening on my end since it all seems fine, I will call sky and see what they have to say..
      Last edited by Gibson8; 05-09-10 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks

That is definitely the new firmware. The old version does not have the WPA2 option.

You should call Sky and tell them you have the new firmware and you think it is causing problems. Can they move you back to the old firmware.

If they have started putting the new firmware out, still with bugs, they are going to get a lot of calls. It is also possible they are having problems moving the Network from PPPoA to MER.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok just a quick update here

I have called sky who instructed me to reset the router via the red button on the back on the router.

Immediately I have noticed that the network type has changed back to PPPoA

Network Type PPPoA

Hopefully this might fix the problem with the problem with the switch over, I'm sure I will find out in about an hour or so..

Edit: The WPA2 Security types are still there but the MER network type has gone it is still 2.6Sky firmware

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast