Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Broadband Unlimited, Strange disconnection problems need help!

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Unlimited, Strange disconnection problems need help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My apologies. Been watching too much of Goat Cam & a few others this evening....

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband Unlimited, Strange disconnection problems need help!

My apologies.

Been watching too much of Goat Cam & a few others this evening.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Tonka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shanklin - SDSHNKL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No probs!

If you could answer my question, when you have a min, i would appreciate it.

Cheers.
      Last edited by Tonka; 11-08-11 at 11:52 PM.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
      I have noticed that i have been stuck on the same ip since these problems began, while my ip was dynamic before.
      IP's are still dynamic at Sky but have become very sticky because of the lack of ipv4 addresses available in the general pool. If you want a different IP address try leaving your router off overnight.

Sometimes, when the router is trying to connect again, it chooses to connect to PPPoa, fails, then connects to the MER network thingy as usual.
      That's normal behaviour if MER is available. You don't connect directly as MER on a Sky router.

My question is, what should i be connecting to, PPPoa or MER? It was always MER before the problems began.
      You don't have a choice. Unless you get a non-sky router you will continue to connect as PPPoA first and then switch to MER untill Sky patch it.

With regards to the disconnections I assume you have gone through the test socket procedure with Sky's support and that did not improve things for you. All I can say is that you have a very short line. Let's hope the engineer does find a fault to fix because your line (length wise) is capable of handling the full 20 Mb.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Tonka (11-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      IP's are still dynamic at Sky but have become very sticky because of the lack of ipv4 addresses available in the general pool. If you want a different IP address try leaving your router off overnight.
      Thanks, will try that tonight then.

That's normal behaviour if MER is available. You don't connect directly as MER on a Sky router.
      Hmm thats interesting to know. Before i had these disconnection probs it just connected straight to MER, even when i performed reboots etc. Now both my sagemcom and dlink routers cant decide which to connect to.

You don't have a choice. Unless you get a non-sky router you will continue to connect as PPPoA first and then switch to MER untill Sky patch it.
      So is this normal behaviour, or something new? What do you mean by patch it, is this a firmware prob on both the sagemcom and dlink routers, or is a server alteration needed?

With regards to the disconnections I assume you have gone through the test socket procedure with Sky's support and that did not improve things for you. All I can say is that you have a very short line. Let's hope the engineer does find a fault to fix because your line (length wise) is capable of handling the full 20 Mb.
      Yeah. I use an NT5 faceplate, but have had disconnects with it on the master socket too. Nothing suggested has fixed the issue. The new router did prolong the time between disconnects, had it up for 48 hours + at one point, but that's gone down hill again now.

Leanne in Scotland (she's an example of useful customer service) tweaked my line up to 20mb yesterday, as her checks told her my line was capable of 20.7mb. It was configured at 20mb her ed, but the router only synced at 18 here. The sync had dropped off to ~12mb by 0100.

I really hope he finds a fault too!

Thanks for the info and help, appreciate it.

Thanks

Your line has dropped because there are problems. Did you experience the disconnections before she tweaked the connection?

Also what was your line speed before she tweaked it?

Did you perform the quiet line test? If there is any noise on the line from the test socket, then you need to contact your line provider. It should be totally silent and this is an indication that there is a problem.

Your line provider is responsible for the telephone line. If your line rental is not with Sky Talk, do not mention the Broadband issues as this will cause them to deny responsibility when it is actually their problem.

With regards to MER, there is nothing else we can do. Sky introduced it as a non-standard method of connecting to their servers and currently no one else has been able to properly get it to work on their own routers, although short-term success has been accomplished.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Tonka (11-08-11)

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What do you mean by patch it, is this a firmware prob on both the sagemcom and dlink routers, or is a server alteration needed?
      They need to configure it at the server end. Either keep MER and discard PPPoA or keep both and force MER every time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Tonka (11-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Your line has dropped because there are problems. Did you experience the disconnections before she tweaked the connection?

Also what was your line speed before she tweaked it?
      Nope the disconnects have been happening for a week or so now, she tweaked the line back to where it was initially, saw no errors her end and pushed it even further. It was fine for a while too.

Speed before she tweaked it was 12-14mb, speed before disconnects was a solid 16mb.

Did you perform the quiet line test? If there is any noise on the line from the test socket, then you need to contact your line provider. It should be totally silent and this is an indication that there is a problem.

Your line provider is responsible for the telephone line. If your line rental is not with Sky Talk, do not mention the Broadband issues as this will cause them to deny responsibility when it is actually their problem.
      No, i haven't tried this yet. I'll give it a go tomorrow evening though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Broadband, Calls and Line Rental are done through sky, won't make the mistake of having different providers for each again!

With regards to MER, there is nothing else we can do. Sky introduced it as a non-standard method of connecting to their servers and currently no one else has been able to properly get it to work on their own routers, although short-term success has been accomplished.
      My point with the MER was that it seemed to work for me for a few months, and now i have these disconnections and two routers are sometimes trying to connect to PPPoa

I have no desire to use a different router, although i do have a couple of Netgear's here if you think they'd be better.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

They need to configure it at the server end. Either keep MER and discard PPPoA or keep both and force MER every time.
      Ooohhh i see. I guess i shouldn't be surprised that the Tier 2 peeps haven't mentioned this when i explained it to them.

I'll ask next time i speak to them.

Cheers.

Thanks

The issue with the routers switching between PPPoA & MER is down to the disconnection issues, rather than the router.

When the router is trying to reconnect, it will try PPPoA first, then switch to MER. My Sagem 2304n takes around 2 mins to connect completely for this reason.

If you intend to use your own router, then getting your line fixed on MER would be a bad idea at the moment. I am currently using my own router and I am a lot happier for it. It connects via PPPoA as I can't get it to connect via MER.

Thanks

I see, thanks. I assume then that i just never noticed the PPPoa stage before i started monitoring my connection so closely. I'm not fussed as to which i am fixed on, just as long as it is stable and doesn't keep dropping.

Cool, i might dig one of the netgears out after i do the quiet line test then. I have already extracted my details from the Sagemcom router, do you think these would still be the same after using the dlink router?

Although, i was told yesterday that a new N Rated router is starting to ship from sky from the 15th or 16th of this month, so i might wait until then and try and blag one after all the hours sat in hold cues and cancelled engineer visits.

Cheers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast