Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awful connection speeds

This is a discussion on Awful connection speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I'm new to the forums, but have been browsing for a while to try and find a solution ...

blastoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Awful connection speeds

Hi all

I'm new to the forums, but have been browsing for a while to try and find a solution to my internet problem. After trying as best I could to follow the instructions given to other people, and trying to figure out which advice applies to me and which doesn't, I thought i'd just post my problem up and take it from there. So forgive the same title that i'm sure you've all seen four hundred times before, i'll try and give you guys as much information as i can so you don't need to waste your time telling me to go off and gather various bits of information - although i have undoubtedly forgotten to include some, for which i apologise in advance.
      Anywho, down to business.

We're currently on Sky's Broadband unlimited package, which apparently gives us up to (the magic words haha) 20mb. Whilst I don't expect that in the slightest I believe I was told somewhere in the region of 2.5-3mb by the sky services people. Contary to this, I'm only getting 511kb Download and 578Upload (or something to that effect, full stats will be posted shortly) Now, i'm no internet buff at all, but I was always under the illusion that your upload speed should be less than your download speed, which is the first thing that raised my suspicion.

Secondly my internet is very irratic, sometimes I don't have connection problems for days, and then at other points it disconnects itself every 10minutes, which is bloody irritating! haha.

So basically, I'm just wondering if you might be able to shed some light on what might be wrong or what I might do to get the best out of my connection, I've read a lot of things about the master socket, but that whole area confuses me and i'm not too keen on unscrewing stuff without knowing what I'm doing/why I'm doing it.

So, here's my stats:

Also included is the router I'm using, It's one provided by Sky, but as i'm not sure of the exact model I thought it might help to have a picture of it.

Finally, i've read a lot of people posting distances from their exchange, I was just wondering where to find that information, I've seen people quoting a site called samknows or something, but whenever i've used that site it's been less than helpful, maybe i'm not navigating it right.

Thanks in Advance
      Blastoff
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Awful connection speeds-net-stats.jpg   Awful connection speeds-photo-1-.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Awful connection speeds

Post your stats from the Test socket, using only the filter and cable supplied by Sky.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

All the version 2 routers look the same, the make should be on the label on the bottom.

Put your phone number and post code in the boxes on this page and it will bring up info, click the Locality link for a map.
      http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

or easier still click this link for the Skyuser tester.
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tools/exchangechecker.php

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Thanks

I tried my best to decipher the router make from the picture but cant see it clearly enough! It'll be written on the top at the back "Manufactured By <Netgear/D-Link/Sagem>". With your current stats your capped and could theoretically get up to 1.5mb. As isitme asks though try your router in the test socket and repost the stats as there could be even more to be had.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

blastoff
      Hi If you turn the router to the right all the details are on that side It is a V2 DG934G. Plus the way the Attached stats are pictured.

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers guys. My bad on the router front, I didn't realise they all looked the same. Had a look on the back it's a Sagem one.

I'm 3.4KM from the exchange, with Sky quoting me a max speed of 2mb on DSLMax. This might be a stupid question but how do i find out if that's what I'm on, as opposed to ADSL?

I'll do the test socket stuff and get back to you with the stats
      Last edited by blastoff; 02-09-10 at 01:11 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You're currently on adsl2+ going by the stats in your earlier post
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

It is a V2 DG934G. Plus the way the Attached stats are pictured.
      That's the Sky firmware Steve, all 4 Sky routers will display like that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      You're currently on adsl2+ going by the stats in your earlier post
      Meaning that I, theoretically at least, should be able to get the 2mb quoted from my broadband checker result?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Going by your attenuation you should but something isn't right so post from the test socket and we can comment further
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Meaning that I, theoretically at least, should be able to get the 2mb quoted from my broadband checker result?
      You should be able to, but you would probably be better off if you were not on ADSL2+. It often performs badly on long lines. Your test socket stats will help.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast