Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

moving from Sky connect to normal broadband

This is a discussion on moving from Sky connect to normal broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So where does that thing in the photo plug into? Or is that the extension? Put a filter i the ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: moving from Sky connect to normal broadband

So where does that thing in the photo plug into? Or is that the extension?

Put a filter i the test socket and just the router and post stats, I know you say you've done it once but do it again...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'm a bit confused by the wires joined together in the socket. Can you undo the screws and post a photo of what is happening to the wiring? Do you have another socket in your house?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

vygec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

to answer questions asked previously:
      1-the thing in the previous photo is the extension which sky wired in when they originally installed sky+ few years back. but this is always plugged in via the microfilter at the master socket
      2- i took a photo of the wires in the master socket, ive also discovered a phone socket upstairs which i never noticed in the past!, i plugged the phone in, but no dial tone, so im guessing this socket is not connected.
      3- i plugged the router again into the master socket via microfilter with nothing else attached and got the following results:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10424 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.0 db 15.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 9.0 db

Thanks

Did you find out where the white and orange wires are going to? There is definitely something wrong with your wiring, you should be syncing much higher. Can you trace the cable from your master socket back to where it enters your house. Are their any boxes of any kind on it?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

sorry!, forgot to attach the pics!
      also traced the cable from master socket to outside. it goes outside to main wall no boxes here, the cable goes all the way up to the top just under the gutter. here there is some sort of small box-but i cant see it from the ground., and a cable goes from this to the telephone pole on the street
      so is this looking like a fault which BT needs to look at?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moving from Sky connect to normal broadband-dsc00496.jpg   moving from Sky connect to normal broadband-dsc00498.jpg  

Thanks

I can see what has been done now. The drop cable has not been long enough to connect directly to the NTE5 terminals so it has been extended slightly. The drop cable itself could be causing a problem as it is not twisted pair it could be picking up interference. It would have been better had you had twisted pair all the way to the junction under the eaves.

As you say, there is not much more you can do, it is down to BT. If you voice line is OK, whether they will do anything to improve the broadband is really down to the individual engineer. It really needs Sky to send a broadband engineer to check the connections right back to the exchange. Due to the cost, Sky are always reluctant to do this, more often than not they will get out an ordinary engineer at a lower cost who will mess about for the 2 hours he is allowed then go away saying it is fixed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

hmm.. im wondering whether its worth bothering or not
      would this be at cost to me or is it covered by sky?
      if i need to explain to sky why i feel my line should be capable of more speed what do i tell them that justifies them to look into this further?

Thanks

Did Sky quote you a speed when you changed over? Moving from Connect I don't expect they did. All you can tell them is that you don't live that far from the exchange as your attenuation of 27dbs shows and you think your speed should be higher. To be honest, I don't hold out much hope for you getting anything done.

As I said earlier, this is not Sky's fault, your speed on Connect, which is BT really. was far too low. You had a better chance of getting it fixed then.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

originally they said it would be the same as i had on connect i.e. 4mb!
      when last speaking with them, i suggested that could i expect more, and they did say that 11mb was pretty much the limit for how far i am from the exchange.
      i still pay line rental to BT. im quite happy with the 10mb im getting now, but the thought of the possibility of an extra 5 mb is now killing me

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234