Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Speed getting slower

This is a discussion on Speed getting slower within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Wonder if anyone can provide me with some info on the reason as to why my BB speed is ...

Seville is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Angry Speed getting slower

Hi

Wonder if anyone can provide me with some info on the reason as to why my BB speed is decreasing. Is it Sky or BT tampering

I have had a constant speed of 3MB. I came back from holiday to discover that my speed was dropping. As an experienced victim od DLM(happened to me one or twice -OK 5 or 6 times), I contatced Sky Second line support, whom, as I have asked many times before reset my Maximum connection speed. This had me thinking my issues were over. But I was still receiving a less speed than I have had for the past 2 and a half years. I have done a bit of reading and have discovered that a value of less than 6 in SNR margins can result in disconnections and reconnects at a more stable speed. Here is a list of what I have checked

1 - Ruled out internal wiring as I have plugged directly into the master socket and removed all connections to my phone sockets
      2 - Sky have replaced the router, filters etc- still the same issue
      3 - Sky have run line checks which point to no issue

I still have a low SNR Margin hovering about 6. I was called by Sky who said they were escalating the call to BT. Sky said that during the time period of the BT engineer call that they would raise my Max Connection speed to 6MB. I continued to monitor the line stats which were still low. I checked my line stats the night before the BT engineer was coming and they were still at a low SNR. I again checked at 7AM the day the BT engineer was coming and they were high. I reset the Router and I connected at my normal 3MB(well3.3 to be precise) The BT engineer called, saying he was moving my exchange link to a less congested link. During this period my connection was stable at 3.3mb. It then dropped and came back at 3.7mb which is more than I have ever had. BT guy came, checked the externals and all was OK. Fitted a new faceplate removing the bell wire. Meanwhile my connection was sitting pretty at 3.7MB. Downloaded 5gb of data and the connection seemed fine. As expected by me, the SNR margin lowered at tea time onwards and the connection dropped and came back at just above 3mb. This was fine as this is my max anticipated speed. As a final test I checked at 7am and the speed had dropped again to just over 2. Looked at the SNR margin and it was sitting at 6 which as we know causes issues. I cannot now get my connection back to 3

Can anyone decribe the setup from home to BT exchange and what tools are in place at BT exchange that can increase or decrease the SNR margin to such an extent that the speed drops like this

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Speed getting slower

Can you post your stats please, from the your normal router position and from the Test socket if you have one.

How to get your router statistics

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

There is nothing in the exchange that can be altered to change your settings. What can be done is changing your connection from one set of ports to another. The engineers talk of 'a less congested part' was misleading. The Sky DSLAM has a fixed number of ports and it does not matter what port you are plugged into, provided it is not faulty, it will make no difference. There is no congestion on any exchange enabled by Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for your response. I have an update prior to me getting the stats of the line from my sockets.

I have today spoke with a Telecoms Engineer. He has advised that what the engineer probably done, was swap my line with another in the Junction box at BT end - basically "swapping my line to another patch back to the exchange" as he put it.

Anyway, back to the stats. I came home with the intention of getting my line stats and posting them, only to find that the SNR margin is again away up from 6.4 to 17.5 - 20 so my line was connecting at the Max I expect(sky have yet to confirm this as I am waiting on them calling me)

Isitme - would you have any idea why the SNR margin would be as low and then jump back up. Nothing has changed with my internal wiring or within my kit. Is it possile that either BT or Sky are implementing changes to their hardware thus causing fluctuations
      Last edited by Seville; 30-08-10 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks

If your noise margin has risen so high it means you have plenty of speed in hand. As to why, the most likely reason is that BT have done some more work on your line. Post your stats. If you have a Dlink router, your connection must be quite new, so DLM may still be running, if so, your speed will shoot up during the night.

I would say, that unless you are in one of the villages, Fallin, Plean etc, you should get at least 10Mb. The 'Burn area is really quite compact with line lengths of under 3 K.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I have been with Sky for over 2 and a half years. I have had DLM run numerous times since I joined but my connection was stable on 3072kbps. So everytime DLM ran, I had to phone, up do the master socket stuff and eventually get put to 2nd Line support to get my max speed allowed put back to 3072kbps.

I called Sky because I was having slow speeds, thinking DLM was back on - it was - but they put it off and set my connection to the usual 3072kbps. But I couldn't get it back to the 3072kbps, sometimes down to 1500kbps. The sent me a New Router(D Link) which made no difference at all so after all support options were exhausted they called in BT. Engineer did his swap at Junction box and my speed was up to 3776kbps but Saturday night it fell away and was back down to under 2500kbps. As I said I came home today to get the stats for you from both the extension and master and about 6PM it all started to work "normally" Sky support are due to call me but looking at the SNR Margin it would appear they have capped me at old faithful of 3072kbps. I live in Wallace Park and I believe the line runs down Broom RD prior to my junction box

Attached are the line stats when plugged into my extension - what do you think - if plugged into the master, the snr margin is about 20
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed getting slower-stats.jpg  
      Last edited by Seville; 30-08-10 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Give Sky a call and tell them improvements have been made to your line, can they lift the cap. They may put it on ADSL2+ which may work on your line, it is not that long. I would expect you to get around 7Mbs. I would keep it plugged into the Master.

Unfortunately you are in an area which would be better served by the Stirling exchange. Just down the road in the Broomridge estate, they are getting pretty near 20 Mb. Why they connected your area to B'burn, I don't know.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

You say they may put me on ADSL2+ - is there something that says I am not on it at the moment

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You're set to 3072kbps (3Mbps) which if you were on ADSL2+ would show as 3070kbps - ADSL2+ shows your connection a few kbps below your set speed...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Thanks for the info - it is much appreciated

Is it a case that the ADSL2+ would give a faster speed given my line stats as per previous post.. I take it ADSL2+ is open to the same interference,distance etc that effects the maximum available speed

Can I request to be swapped over or is it in the hands of Sky and also do you think it would benefit me

Sorry for the silly questions but I always say everythings easy - when ye know how to do it
      Last edited by Seville; 31-08-10 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks

When you phone them you can ask them to try your line on ADSL2+. Unfortunately as it uses wider frequencies than G.DMT(ADSL) it is more subject to interference, but it depends on your line. They will not know until they try.

(Been off line from 9.30 this morning, I think half of Scotland was out.)

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast