Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Speed getting slower

This is a discussion on Speed getting slower within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well where do I start, lets go for BT Took a half day off work since I had a PM ...

Seville is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Speed getting slower

Well where do I start, lets go for BT

Took a half day off work since I had a PM booking. Came to 5.30Pm and I had to go out, BT called to say that they couldn't make it and I now have an appointment for Sunday AM. And then there is the Customer call from Sky that I was to receive to see how it went - on my mobile - cos that is what I asked for when offered the call. They called the house and left it on the answer machine. At least they did return the call this time, unlike the 2 previous "promises"

Anyway - the line fell thru the night, and again at 12noon today although as I was out, I cant confirm it was a call that did it during the day. Don't know what caused it thru the night either

In one of my previous posts on Thursday, something must have got lost in the communication when on the phone to 2nd line support cos they increased my connection speed from 5.5mb which my stats have previously been posted and were healthy to over 6mb. I have attached my new stats but I think 2nd line support will have to put it down, the SNR can drop dangerously low - 5-6db and this may be what brought it down thru the night

What do you think of these stats
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed getting slower-untitled.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

One thing you could try is turning the router off at night to avoid the noisy period. Not ideal I know, but if it helps keep your connection more stable it may be worth it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      One thing you could try is turning the router off at night to avoid the noisy period. Not ideal I know, but if it helps keep your connection more stable it may be worth it.
      I know what you are saying, I used to do that way before all this started when I had a maximum 3.5mb connection, in the morning it would sync at 3.5 and drop to just above 3mb as the day went on. I could live with it cos I knew it would.

Sky have upped my max connection limit at over 6mb at the moment and if it was to synch up at say 5.5 then that would be fine but when the fault actually halves it to 3mb then thats not handy as its too big a drop

Exchange:
      Thanks

BT, a nice helpful lad at that, have paid a visit today and here is a breakdown of what has been done

The guy had it in his notes, that the last engineer had reconnected me to a different pair at the Cabinet running back to the exchange and as the fault was still there he was gonnae do more testing. He actually got the connection to drop while dialling my house so that was good. He went to the hole in my steet and connected me to another pair that ran from the street to the Cabinet, in effect the only original cabling I have would be from my house to the hole in the street I guess. He also fitted a new socket and faceplate and ran some more tests in which the line would not fall over. I have tried thru the day to break it as well and it still seems to be holding up at the moment. He has advised that there could still be an issue at the Exchange side but we have to see how this goes 1st before moving on to that

I also noticed today that Sky had started DLM as of yesterday, keeping mind that if they had called on the number that I gave them to, then I could have told them that BT had not been at that time. I have called Sky, asked them to take the DLM off asked them to keep the call open and give me a call back next weekend to see how the running tests have been thru the week

I have attached dumps of the DLM on and DLM off.

Early days, but I would say, that with the changes BT have made today, if the fault has been resolved, then I also have healthier line stats than those taken pre BT visit

Any thoughts
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed getting slower-dlmon.jpg   Speed getting slower-dlmoff.jpg  
      Last edited by Seville; 03-10-10 at 08:15 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well "early days" was the correct words, cos it happened it dropped the connection when I got a phone call on Sunday at 9PM, and again today(Monday) again when I received a call.

I did ask the BT engineer what would be the next option and he said that if it wasn't sorted, keeping in mind it did drop when he was here so that was good that he actually experienced it, the it could still be an Exchange problem. He said that my line would be swapped in the exchange to see if that was to sort it

I take it by this he means that my line will be re-patched into another part of the Main Distribution Frame

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yes, sometimes known as a tie pair shift. It is good that he actually experienced the fault so there is a better chance of getting it fixed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Yes, sometimes known as a tie pair shift. It is good that he actually experienced the fault so there is a better chance of getting it fixed.
      Latest update

Sky advised they were arranging for BT to do the tie pair shift on Monday 11th

I take it the tie pair shift would break all voice and broadband connections. Reason I ask is that my Router stats show that the Broadband never fell during the normal working hours/day anytime this week - which makes me think the tie pair has not been shifted yet.

I am still experiencing issues when receiving phone calls - it would appear that if there has been no phone use for a period of time during the day(if I am at work for example) and then I receive a call then the Broadband drops.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Yes, you should see a complete dissconnection when you are unplugged.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well here is the explanation from Sky as to why there was no complete disconnect when BT did the tie pair shift - they shifted someone else it would appear.

Sky support called me today, and I asked if the shift went ahead as I had not saw any downtime during normal working hours. They said it had and it would appear from his GUI monitor of the Hardware at Exchange that my internet was down. I confirmed that my Internet was up OK but still receiving the issue when receiving calls which had him a tad confused. The port he had me listed as being plugged into was showing no activity. He went away to do some more digging and came back that an engineer would have to visit the exchange to find the correct port etc using telnet

I know a bit about Networking, although not ADSL circuits so what I think is the case is that my line from home to exchange is labelled/marked up wrong in the exchange to the Sky equipment thus not reporting as connected to the port the Sky support would expect
      I know thru experience if for example creating a VLAN, I would use various commands from a telnet connection to a switch in order to determine the various IP addresses on the Switch ports to identify which device is connected where whether it be directly into the switch or thru the trunk port in order to tag ports etc.

Having had the joy of having to rewire data cabinets, I take it this is what he means the visiting engineer will have to do if labelled incorrectly in order to identify the correct pair as I get the feeling that there will be too many cables to trace from MDF to the Sky equipment
      Last edited by Seville; 17-10-10 at 08:47 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well here is the latest

The Tie Pair Shift happened on Tuesday/Wednesday - Sky Support says these things happen thru the night to avoid possible disruption to other users - is this correct. Anyway, my line has been at 7000kbps since and no amount of testing by calling my home can break the connection

I have now moved my Router out of the test socket where it has been for weeks while having the issue back to my original location using my internal wiring in order to place the Router at a place of my choice. Again connection back at 7000kbps. I will test the connection from there for the next few days. Call is still open at Sky as they are aware I am monitoring the link

I have attached my stats - any comments on them!!!

All in all - looking much better fingers crossed
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed getting slower-aftershift.jpg  

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast