Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Speed getting slower

This is a discussion on Speed getting slower within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Smithy99 It sounds like you have a high resistance fault, this is caused by a poor joint ...

Seville is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Speed getting slower

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It sounds like you have a high resistance fault, this is caused by a poor joint somewhere along the line (usually at the pole or in the green cabinet).

When the phone is in use, the extra voltage cleans/jumps the contact and then slowly drops away again after the phone call ends.

You will need to get BT out to check the line although it can be a long process trying to get them to do it.
      Been doing some detective work - well testing in an attempt to make reason of what is going on. What a nice way to spend a day off.

Anyway, what I have determined today is that anytime I either make a call or receive a call - which doesn't need to be answered, just ringing away - there is a big reduction in my SNR margin till the link drops out. The link comes back at a greatly reduced sync speed and low snr. Rebooting does not result in a return to maximum speed. The only way to return to my maximum speed is to unplug the equipment from the master socket and plug it back in. Comes straight back at the maximum speed

I trust this confirms the line fault, but can someone explain why the link stays slow till I actually unplug the equipment from the BT socket. Does it clear the fault in some way till I get or try to call someone

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think it is so much clearing the fault as making a full resync with the exchange. Rebooting does not always cause a resync, although it can do. Usually if you do a power cycle the router your IP address will change, rebooting does not always do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Does that then point to the fact that the link drops when receiving/dialing out is nothing to do with my connection speed being too fast a synch. You agree that it definetly points to a line fault and that the behaviour of the link dropping is nothing to do with being set too fast
      Last edited by Seville; 28-09-10 at 05:25 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As I said before, if it was a case of getting too much down the line, your noise margin, when you are getting the 5.5 would be very low. It is not, it is up at 7-9dbs which is well above the default for the noise margin. This shows there is a fault in the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It is nothing to do with connection speed, settings or anything like that, you have a line fault.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks guys, just needed comfirmation. I will update you when I have some more info

Thanks again,

Exchange:
      Thanks

One more thing, is it normal for your SNR margin to drop any amount when receiving a call never mind falling that low that it kills the broadband

Thanks

No, the noise margin should be stable and only drop a few Db from morning to evening as there is more interference in the evenings.

I actually notice no drop in noise margin throughout the day etc.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Called Sky on Tuesday - 2nd time that day, got thru to a nice enough lad in 1st line, took the info off me and said that he would escalate the call to 2nd line support who would contact me within 48hrs. 50 hours later, no response from 2nd line support so caaled them myself. Again spoke to another lad, had to go thru the whole story AGAIN. He was in contact with 2nd line support who actually increased my connection 6-6.5mb from 5.5 but the SNR has understandably decreased from the stable 8-10 to 7-8db which wasn't what I was on for

Anyway, after an hour on the phone waiting I had to hang up as I was going out, then the phone rang - it was SKY to 2nd line support, which coincidentIy brought my connection down which the lad could vouch for, spoke with another lad, went thru the story AGAIN. He has organised a BT engineer visit for Friday(today) PM. Downside is it aint falling over today - which aint much use if the guy shows up.

JUST TYPICAL

Thanks

He may have already been out and fixed it, chances are the fault is not in your house and does not require an engineer to call.

Post you stats now.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast