Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Speed getting slower

This is a discussion on Speed getting slower within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; @Isitme As you have seen with the post history, I have been getting 5.5mb for the past month but when ...

Seville is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Speed getting slower

@Isitme

As you have seen with the post history, I have been getting 5.5mb for the past month but when you do a check on my number and postcode, the speed that the anticipated speed available, the BT database states that it is 3 - 3.5mb.

With the info I have supplied previously, and, with the fact I have been running at 5.5mb for a month - could it be a case that I have somehow been lucky to achieve the 5.5mb link and that my line can actually only support about the 3mb meaning the link is trying to sync to fast. If it was the case that it could only support around the 3mb, then why would it stay connected at 5.5 for a month and then start falling over.

BTW, I was at the 5.5mb today, and within a second of a landline call, it had disconnected and came back at just over 3

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No, the fact that a phone call can upset it points to a line fault 100%.

Exchange:
      Thanks

@Smithy99

The disconnect does not seem to happen(as much) when I sync at a much slower speed when doing a phone call and I thought there was a - pardon the joke - connection. In that my sync was too fast and the line was not capable of holding this speed stable and the phone call was pulling it down

Can I take it that voice would not pull a connection over at any speed unless there was a line fault

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Can I take it that voice would not pull a connection over at any speed unless there was a line fault
      That is correct.

If you look at your noise margin when your line is up at 5.5 you will see it is fluctuating between 7 and 9 dbs, which means it is not trying to pull too much speed. If it were, your noise margin would be down below the default of 6.9dbs. It does drop low very occasionally, but even dropping to 1-2 dbs your line is not loosing its connection. I am not sure about it being a high resistance fault as these usually cause an increase in noise margin when the phone is used, but there is a fault of some kind there..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Looks like a call to Sky in the morning and having top go thru the normal 1st line support checks. Part of their job I suppose..............

I will let youz know how it goes

Thanks so far

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

When you get through to CST, they'll also confirm all the tier 1 checks. Or at least the agent should anyway.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well thats the 1st call to Sky, told them bout frequent disconnects and the fact it can fall over when doing a voice call - his advice was to call BT

And by the way, Speed is back to normal and noise levels are also back at 7-10. So my question now is do I wait till I have issues then call BT. Do I tell them I ave noticed it kicks the BB when doing a voice call or keep quiet bout it

And incidently, the speed stayed up the duration of the call to Sky

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Speed getting slower

With the speed normal again, minding that nothing has changed regarding my kit,cabling etc. I went and did the online BT line test which showed no problems - surprise surprise.

Way back at the start of my post, I was having the exact same issue that mysteriously righted itself the day BT were due to come and my speed jumped from a constant 3mb to 5.5mb

If its intermittent its gonnae be hard to prove a line fault me thinks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

his advice was to call BT
      That was not very helpful. They know your problem is with broadband, not your voice line, and that BT will just refer you back to Sky. As mentioned before, it is very difficult to get anything done about a line fault that only effects broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That was not very helpful. They know your problem is with broadband, not your voice line, and that BT will just refer you back to Sky. As mentioned before, it is very difficult to get anything done about a line fault that only effects broadband.
      Just took what you said, and went back to Sky as the BT online line check came back clear - got a nice lad called Barry in 1st line, he has raised a call to 2nd line who will call me back. When things work as they should its fine but when they don't..................

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast