Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Speed getting slower

This is a discussion on Speed getting slower within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Line is the same as yesterday, with sam SNR margin levels. All my kit goes thru surge protectors, and at ...

Seville is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Speed getting slower

Line is the same as yesterday, with sam SNR margin levels.

All my kit goes thru surge protectors, and at the moment everything is off apart from the Router and the SNR Margin is still about 7. Its the same whether hardwired or wireless.

When you mentioned "dirty" current, I take it you were meaning the household electricals or was it outside devices and possible joint problems.

Would you agree that as I have had a steadky 5.5mb for a month tha there is an issue some where and that I should be abler to get the 5.5mb again. If I rule out internal wiring and interference what else can be done to solve this.

Strange thing is, as I said way back at the beginning, The Max I was advised I could get was 3mb, I was having trouble getting the 3mb with Noise Margin being low and Sky escalated it to BT and on the day BT were to show up it mysteriously returned to normal. But after BT did a bit of work, I was getting the 5.5mb for a month - surely thats not "by luck"

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Would you agree that as I have had a steadky 5.5mb for a month tha there is an issue some where and that I should be abler to get the 5.5mb again
      I certainly would, especially as you were getting a healthy noise margin with the 5.5Mb. I looks like a fault has developed on your line which is causing excess noise. Unfortunately, unless this is also effecting your voice line, it is difficult to get anything done about it. Try a quiet line test, plug a corded phone into the Test socket, no filter and dial 17070 option 2. If there is any noise at all, report it to BT as a noisy voice line. Don't mention broadband or they will refer you back to Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have done the quiet test on the line - just a gently whoosh which I gather is fine as per a previous post from you.

Any other options available apart from raisng a call.

Also, If BT are not working on the lines, and Sky cannot increase/decrease signals - are BT in control of any settings

Thanks

BT don't have control of any settings for Sky LLU, all the equipment is under Sky's control. You could give them a ring and tell them your speed has dropped, so you suspect there is a fault on the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Was out this afternoon and came back home to my full connection again - yahoo me thought. Then it fell again and has been up and down a few times - to a slower speed and then back to the full speed

I have the Router in the master socket and running a Router stats(Router Stats Lite) tool to monitor the connection. I will watch it for a while, last time it happened was the thunder and lightning if you mind that day and it righted itself. I will let you know how it goes

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ran the Router stats monitor thru the night last night. Line has been dropping and re-synching thru the night many times.

I have attached a copy of the of the logs, I do know that the disconnects at 20:19:45 and 20:30:56 happened when the Landline phone was in use

As you can see, the link has been at full speed to start with, and dropped to a slower with a lower snr margin and then back up to the maximum later on

Any thoughts!!!
      Attached Files Attached Files

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It sounds like you have a high resistance fault, this is caused by a poor joint somewhere along the line (usually at the pole or in the green cabinet).

When the phone is in use, the extra voltage cleans/jumps the contact and then slowly drops away again after the phone call ends.

You will need to get BT out to check the line although it can be a long process trying to get them to do it.

Thanks

I notice the connection dropped completely for 5 mins around 5 this morning. Does this coincide with anything going on in your house at that time? CH coming on or something like that.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

No one was up at that time putting anything on, and the heating is off at the moment. Nothing is on autmatically at that time of the morining or anytime thru the night.

It was up and down a few times thru early evening till 5am

Thanks

I would say that your figures confirm that there is a fault on the line. It seems to be a bad one as when the drops occur your noise margin is not gradually reducing but dropping right out. This one shows it going from 8dbs straight to a negative figure.
      Sun 26 Sep 2010 20:19:40, Noise Margin= 8, Sync Speed= 5568
      Sun 26 Sep 2010 20:19:45, Noise Margin= 2147483, Sync Speed= 0
      I agree with Smithy, all you can do is pursue this with Sky and try to get them to send out a broadband engineer.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast