Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Speed getting slower

This is a discussion on Speed getting slower within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks for your advice. Aye weather is not at its best. Its just me being cynical about it all. To ...

Seville is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Speed getting slower

Thanks for your advice. Aye weather is not at its best. Its just me being cynical about it all. To be honest I couldn't believe my luck when I got a speed of 5.5mb and I thinking that its all gonnae go bang and go back to under 3mb. I will see how it goes when I do the test you have advised

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

This afternoon I was still having trouble with slow speeds falling to 2.8-3mb. I have also done the quiet line test and did not hear any abnormal sounds so thats good.

Due to the nature of my Network setup/ games consoles(hard wired) I have had the Router in an extension - where the speed was stable for a week at the 5.5mb with reasonable SNR margins before the thunder and lightning yesterday which I think maybe a coincidence in my speed dropping. I have also unplugged all other telephony equipment from the internal sockets leaving only the Router - still drops after a bit. I am beginning to think there may be an intermittent fault with the internal wiring. When plugged into the internal extension, I get connected at the max I expect but it has started disconnecting more frequently. I have now moved the Router into the master socket and it has been stable at the max speed expected(5.5mb) for the past 4 hours. I have the filter into the master socket then the phone and skybox all going thru the filter. This has removed my internal circuit out the loop now so I will watch my stats for the next few days. If it still happens, I will remove the skybox,phone etc till I find the culprit

These days, with house phones being wireless I dare say I can live without the extension if my speed stabilises and splash out for wireless cards for the games console and other PC's I have connected

Does anyone have any other thoughts?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed getting slower-stats0809.jpg  

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you have a test socket get the stats from there, this will remove all internal wiring from the connection and give you the best case senario for your speed. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html

I would not even consider wireless for gaming, much better to either use homeplugs or run in an ethernet cable.

For the best setup, fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket and run the router from that, then use either homeplugs to connect your devices or ethernet where you can. Using an extension lead is asking for trouble.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As I have said to other posters, plugging into an extension socket can give good results for a time. Unfortunately the internal wiring is prone to interference, which may occur on a regular basis or even at any time, so your connection deteriorates. Plugging into the test socket isolates all your internal wiring, so you do not get the interference. If you don't need your extension just pull the wires off your faceplate and tuck them out of the way. You can then replace your faceplate and you should get very similar results from it as the Test socket.

One thing that very often causes problems is the Sky Box, even going through a filter they can sometimes cause problems. Much of the problem is caused by the cheap filters supplied by Sky, it is worth replacing them with good quality ones. Something like this - ADSL Nation LTD. However as you have an NTE5, you would be as well going the whole hog and fitting a Filtered Faceplate this would enable you to reconnect your extension should you ever need it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks to all have provided the info. I will watch it in the master socket for the time being

You all have provided plenty food for thought.

I will let you know my findings at the start of the week - or sooner should I have problems

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If you have a test socket get the stats from there, this will remove all internal wiring from the connection and give you the best case senario for your speed. How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

I would not even consider wireless for gaming, much better to either use homeplugs or run in an ethernet cable.

For the best setup, fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket and run the router from that, then use either homeplugs to connect your devices or ethernet where you can. Using an extension lead is asking for trouble.
      As I may have to go wireles for some devices, but my gaming over the wireless could prove an issue. Has anyone any advice on the Homeplug devices that are around using your internal power mains ring to carry data around your home.

Is it stable and most importantly secure. Does anyone know whether the Network traffic actually leaves your home and travels further up the power lines.

Any info is much appreciated

Thanks

The Homeplug devices are very secure, much more so than wireless. In most cases the meter will be the demarcation point as neighbours will probably be on a different phase. Apart from this, Homeplugs have their own security with 128bit encryption in the AV type. These are probably the best type to go for with HD streaming becoming more popular and with Sky's VoD very near, they will make connecting the Sky box to the Router very easy.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I emailed a Company who makes them - Devolo - and they came back with

no, the data remain within your power network, because the electric/current meter is the physical bound of the dLAN connection. A current meter generates inductances. These inductances work as a low‑pass filter and reduce the high frequencies so that the data signals are no longer usable.

And your reply certainly makes me think that it would be a preferred option with me leaving the Router at the master socket

Much appreciated

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi

Been away for a bit - well couple of weeks, but the good news was that my speed has been very steady at 5568kbps with no disconnects at allbut the past couple of days have seen my SNR margin dropping from a steady 9db and today Saturday 25th Sept, the speed has dropped to 3328kbps with a SNR margin of 6.8. I am in my master socket as well. Along with this, the phone rings and no one there, with no number to dial back to.

BT problem at the exchange maybe or BT working on something?

Do Sky have any tools available to them that controls the SNR Margin level, as in can they boost or reduce the signal

Anyone any ideas
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed getting slower-slow-again.jpg  

Thanks

It is possible BT are working on the lines which is causing a problem in your area. It is also possible something in your house is putting 'dirty' current back into the line. If you don't already have one you might want to try running the router power through a surge protector. It might also be worthwhile switching everything that uses electricity in your house off, except the router and see if the noise margin rises. Use a wireless laptop to check if possible, as the PSU in PCs has been known to cause this problem.

There is no way Sky can boost the signal

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast