Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Speed getting slower

This is a discussion on Speed getting slower within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Your upstream margin has dropped considerably. This can sometimes be caused by a faulty filter, can you try another filter ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Speed getting slower

Your upstream margin has dropped considerably. This can sometimes be caused by a faulty filter, can you try another filter and see if it improves?

I should have asked earlier, but when the engineer replaced the faceplate, did he fit an NTE5. If so try it in the Test socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Seville is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

The BT engineer did fit a new faceplate but he did not mention the name. When I take the faceplate off, there are only 2 wires connected. Does this help you or is there another way I can determine what the faceplate type is

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

a photo says a thousand words...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Is it like this -
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

If it is you will have a Test socket, so try plugging it in there.

If it is not, there should be more than 2 wires connected if you have an extension.

Maybe you could 'paint a thousand words'?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If the picture says it all, then my original faceplate must have been an NTE5 also. It covered half the socket, and once removed exsposed the master socket as does the new one. As I say, there are now only 2 wires connected.

I will plug directly into the Master socket an post the reults

Thanks

OK, so plugged my router back into master socket, made very little difference. Decided to revert to the new Dlink Router that was supplied(I know what your saying - why wasn't I using it already - I preferred my Netgear one hence I am asking for advice in another post as to what is the best Router. Well maybe my stats will provide some assistance in answering that..... I plugged into my master socket and noticed a big difference so I decided one last test is to plug it back into my internal wired extension. Results attached. There is a minimal difference with the Dlink in the master or extension socket but you will see my downstream has increased a bit but my upstream has more than doubled

I will just have to keep monitoring for the next few days to see if it drops again. Any ideas

Also, I dont tamper or move the Router around once plugged in, the results seem to vary daily

I look forward to your thought s on the change in figures with the DLink
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed getting slower-stats0609.jpg  
      Last edited by Seville; 06-09-10 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks

So you have been using a Netgear you obtained from somewhere instead of the Dlink supplied by Sky. I think you will find the Dlink is better, for one thing, it supports stronger wireless encryption than the Netgear.

Do you have phone rental with Sky? If so can you look at the Status page of the router? Not the stats you have already posted, the whole page that begins with the Firmware version at the top. Look down the list, what does it say against 'Network type'?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Both Routers are sky routers

When my original issue came up Sky tried all the usual troubleshooting, and prior to calling in BT they had to replace the Router

So the netgear is a Sky one as is the Dlink. Stats are sitting steady at the moment as per my previous post. I used the Netgear out of preference but when I saw the difference in the stats I think the Dlink is the way forward

I only have Sky TV and Broadband, my phone rental is with another company

I will monitor the situation and let you know

Thanks for your thoughts so far

Thanks

Well here we go again

Way back at the start of this issue I was having, I was under the impression that 3mb was my max speed available. My router reports SNR Margin of 6 downstream so I take it to be true that this is my max speed. I start to have issues with speed resulting at a connection of 1.5mb.Call goes to Sky, they do their bits with speed etc. Still a problem. They send a new router. Still a problem. They then call in BT who say there is no issue from exchange to house but they move me in the junction box anyway. The fit an NTE5 faceplate as well. My speed returns to normal. After a couple of days, I notice my SNR margin sitting at 20, and after having read various forums I say to myself that I might get faster here. So I call Sky who lift the cap and I jump to 5.5mb. This lasts a week with not much issues, SNR margins fluctuating but no serious problems. Then today BANG - way back down to 2.7mb and an SNR margin of 7.5 - see attached. Just like that.....

Can anyone explain how on earth this happens and how I get this rectified?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed getting slower-stats0709.jpg  

Thanks

As you know, we have had the worst weather for months today. It is possible water has got into a joint on your line and caused the problem.

How is your voice line? Try a quiet line test by plugging a phone on it own into your Test socket. Dial 17070 option 2 and listen. You should hear nothing but possibly a very quiet hiss. Any snaps crackles, screeches or pops report it to your phone provider as a noisy voice line. Don't mention broadband or they will just refer you to Sky who can do nothing.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast