Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

router problem

This is a discussion on router problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi everyone im a new member so hello to you all and hope you can help me with my problem,my ...

jadejackellie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

router problem

hi everyone im a new member so hello to you all and hope you can help me with my problem,my router/modem has stopped working since i took it down stairs and tried to connect it to my tv via ethernet cable i just wqnted to update my tv firmware wich i didnt manage to do,so plugged it back in upstairs wers its been for 3 years without any trouble and now it wont work at all,when i power the it up i get the power light and an amber tick wich goes out after around 2 seconds and still not net even when i plug an ethernet into my router and laptop the problem seems to stem from me connecting my tv to it any ideas what problem may be, rang sky they sY i need to purchase a new router of them for 30 pound does this sound right, thanks

2. Advertisement
      lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: router problem

ive never seen a amber tick, you've probably messed something up, sky will usually charge for routers if its over 1 year old.

Reset the router by holding the button in for over 10 seconds

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Does sound like a duff router, although you might want to just try the reset hole at the back of it and see if that brings it back to life. The router is supposed to be 28 for a replacement from sky, but you should be able to get a free one if you question them on why you should have to pay for there proprietery router when with any other ISP you could go out and get a better router cheaper

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Actually yeah, you should be able to get one for free, i did, i guess its just who you speak to. I wouldn't tell them that you tried messing with the firmware

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The amber tick is the 'check' light which should flash briefly when the router is powered up. What lights stay on? It is possible the PSU is failing. If what Simon suggests does not work, try another 12v PSU if you have one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for quick replys lads,i didnt tell sky id connected it to my tv,but shiuldnt i be able to connect it to other devices without the worry of breaking it everytime i do,as far as i can remember i get the power light and the wireless symbol but im at work so cant confirm this for sure,i dont see why i should have to pay for a new 1 think id rather cancel my broardband with them wich i pay a tenner a month for,il check later to see if i got another psu i could try

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi lads went to reset my router last night but when i put the paper clip inside there wasnt there to press its as if the button has moved from its original position so cant reset it that way can it be done a diffrent way also the lights i get om my router r the green power and wireless symbol lights thanks

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

The reset button is the only hard reset option, are we sure this router hasn't been dropped at all in the past? Sounding like a faulty PSU more than anything. Plugging it into a device ethernet port shouldn't cause any issues, it will just sit there refusing to negotiate an IP with it if there is a compatibility issue.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for reply paulsky,so do you think im better getting a new router of sky the 1 ive got is a few years old anyway,are the new ones any better r they faster or same speed think mine is 54mbs

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have the GT model it is 108mbps, but apart from working in your network that is meaningless. The GT was the best of the bunch and it is still on retail sale, so there is not much wrong with it, apart from the Sky firmware. Sky are reputed to be testing an N class router, but not much is known about it yet. If you are technically minded at all you could open it up and see if you can get to the button from inside.

Sky will charge you 28 for one, if you want it replaced.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast