Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Download speed

This is a discussion on Download speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy Also, bare in mind you're on Connect - the single worst BB product on the market!! ...

lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Download speed

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Also, bare in mind you're on Connect - the single worst BB product on the market!!
      I already said that ^^

I don't think the router could be causing the crackling, maybe its the phone thats nackered?

The line drops out because the NM gets too low

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Missed your first post...router can cause crackle so first thing would be remove everything (filters included) and just plug an corded phone in. no crackle means hardware fault at your end, crackle means line fault
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

BigRedAnt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Don't have much option really; Talk Talk are the first ISP to put their kit in our exchange, and I don't think they have completed that yet. We are out in the sticks, and there isn't a date yet for the exchange upgrade.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Have plugged the phone directly into master socket, and there is an intermittent crackle (it's tough to get support from Sky on something inconsistent).

They now say try a different phone to make sure the phone isn't at fault, so that's the next step.

I suppose after doing that I have to choose between buying a replacement router or getting a line engineer out.

Thanks

Well why would you need a new router? you've just said you plugged the phone directly into the phone socket and it still crackled. So try a different phone, if theres still something wrong its the line, which you won't be charged for if theres a line fault.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Plug a corded phone into the Test socket and dial 17070, option 2 and listen. The line should be quiet with possibly a very faint hiss. Any screeches, crackles or pops, phone your rental provider and tell them you have noise on your line.

If the noise only occurs when your router is plugged in, it is probably a faulty filter. The ones Sky supply are not of a very good quality.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry for the late response. The noise happens whether the router is in or not, it also happens when the phone is plugged straight into the test socket. I borrowed a neighbour's phone and got the same result (both were cordless, but it would be a hell of a coincidence if both phones and the router were all separately faulty!)

To be honest I'm almost at the point of asking for my MAC code. I've been on the phone to them for about 5 hours, been passed between Talk and Broadband more that I care to remember, been abused by a rude operator, cut off at 11pm by someone obviously desparate to get home, and so on. Just had enough really!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Bare in mind a line fault will be there with any ISP, might be worth getting Sky to sort it first...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Makes sense...to be honest I believe my exchange is being upgraded in March which should lead to some ISPs unbundling, so it may be worth hanging on till then. I'm just fed up with Sky to be honest, half the staff seem to have no idea at all, and the other half don't seem to want to deal with the issue. I spend over 1200 a year with them and expect a little better.

Thanks for all the input anyway!

Thanks

1200 a year? That simply isn't possible, even with all of their top packages & channels there is no way it is over 100 a month.(or at least shouldn't be)

Try again, try during the afternoon-early evening, If you think your going no where, just put the phone down and ring back.

if you get someone rude(as long as you wasn't), ring up, and say you want to make a complaint about a member of staff, see if you get anywhere with that. The calls should be recorded anyway.(you will need their name though)

You really should try a corded phone to make sure(as wireless phones/internet can easily pick up interference, but it sounds like there is something wrong with the line.

Make sure you get through to CST (customer solutions team) Tell them you are experiencing low sync speeds and you have crackling on your phone even when its plugged into the test socket and you've tried multiple phones. Ive had two engineer visits without asking them(both free), it shouldn't be hard for you to get one.

Half the staff do have no idea and can't do anything except whats written on a prompt card in front of them. its simply hit & miss im afraid, don't waste your time with idiots, just put the phone down.

edit; nvm it seems it could be over 100 a month, but i believe connect costs more than unlimited, and it would also means you have a lot of phone options or the extra sports channels such as ESPN/MUTV
      Last edited by lindley010; 26-08-10 at 07:39 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast