Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

This is a discussion on My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Updated about me aswell to correct stats....

DownloadSpeedof30kbps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

Updated about me aswell to correct stats.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You call 08442 410 515 and select technical support - this will put you thorugh to Tier 1 support. Their job is to go through basic troubleshooting with you and see if they can go through things with you and sort it first time.

Go through troubleshooting for a slow connection. Answer the questions honestly

So long as you're set up correctly at your end they should then pass you over to CST - these are the guys that can reconfigure your line and get things working as best they can. They should then see the noise margin is high (indicating more potential speed) and increase the speed to be around 1-2Mbps
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

MGSteve is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DownloadSpeedof30kbps View Post
      By the way, I was on Upto 2/5mb and then moved to Upto 10mb then now I'm on upto 20mb so there is no limit to the speed I can get (guessing it's under 20mb).
      Did you get the same speed on the upto 2/5mb?

If so, you'd have a case for demanding a refund from Sky, they should never have upgraded you if you weren't even near the maximum for the connection.

Anyway, ring up Sky 08442 414141 - option 4 (I think), for TV or Broadband not working.

You will need your dad or your dad's details and pretend to be him & the password for the account.

Explain the problem with the line, the sync speed appears to be too low and it keeps dropping the connection. They'll take you through a few tests, so be prepared to do what they say. It can be tedious, especially as you'll almost certainly have already done them.

If you get through all of that, they'll either pass you onto the next tier of support or say they will ring you back, try and get referred through there and then - they can take a while to call back.

The next tier tend to be a lot more technically aware than the first tier of support, so you should be able to get somewhere.

However, without an obvious fault on the line, you can get them to call BT out to investigate, but you will be liable for a call-out fee if no fault is found. This is the gamble.

Which is why knowing the speeds your neighbours are getting is key really, at least then if you know your neighbour is getting 2mb or 1mb you can use that as an argument.

But without it, its a difficult situation. Their line tests they run also don't mean jack. I knew there was a fault on my line, but their tests came back and said it was fine! In the end one of the junction boxes was flooded, hence all the interference on my line.

Just ring them up and see where it goes, there really isn't a given plan we can give you as it depends on what they say.

As IWasNotTheEnemy says, Tier 2 can tweak the line. But if its disconnecting as you say, that would indicate a problem on the line, not just a slow speed cap. It shouldn't keep disconnecting. (Assuming it was doing this when plugged into the main socket and not the extension).

If its always been on the extension and you've only just moved it to the master socket, then its problably is the dynamic speed adjustment that's keeping it at the slow rate as that's all the line (plus extension) has been capable of. With it plugged into the master socket, you'll need to ring Sky as above and ask them to reset the line speeds for the line. This should result in a big increase in speed!)
      Last edited by MGSteve; 24-08-10 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGSteve View Post
      Did you get the same speed on the upto 2/5mb?

If so, you'd have a case for demanding a refund from Sky, they should never have upgraded you if you weren't even near the maximum for the connection.

Anyway, ring up Sky 08442 414141 - option 4 (I think), for TV or Broadband not working.

You will need your dad or your dad's details and pretend to be him & the password for the account.

Explain the problem with the line, the sync speed appears to be too low and it keeps dropping the connection. They'll take you through a few tests, so be prepared to do what they say. It can be tedious, especially as you'll almost certainly have already done them.

If you get through all of that, they'll either pass you onto the next tier of support or say they will ring you back, try and get referred through there and then - they can take a while to call back.

The next tier tend to be a lot more technically aware than the first tier of support, so you should be able to get somewhere.

However, without an obvious fault on the line, you can get them to call BT out to investigate, but you will be liable for a call-out fee if no fault is found. This is the gamble.

Which is why knowing the speeds your neighbours are getting is key really, at least then if you know your neighbour is getting 2mb or 1mb you can use that as an argument.

But without it, its a difficult situation. Their line tests they run also don't mean jack. I knew there was a fault on my line, but their tests came back and said it was fine! In the end one of the junction boxes was flooded, hence all the interference on my line.

Just ring them up and see where it goes, there really isn't a given plan we can give you as it depends on what they say.

As IWasNotTheEnemy says, Tier 2 can tweak the line. But if its disconnecting as you say, that would indicate a problem on the line, not just a slow speed cap. It shouldn't keep disconnecting. (Assuming it was doing this when plugged into the main socket and not the extension).

If its always been on the extension and you've only just moved it to the master socket, then it problem is the dynamic speed adjustment that's keeping it at the slow rate as that's all the line (plus extension) has been capable of. With it plugged into the master socket, you'll need to ring Sky as above and ask them to reset the line speeds for the line. This should result in a big increase in speed!)
      Thanks, I'll ask my dad if I can do it and he can go around asking a neighbour or 2 what they're speeds are.
      I'm still waiting for 2 people to get off there laptops so I can try the test socket.
      Once more, what time does the phone line open/close?

lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You can phone 24/7.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lindley010 View Post
      You can phone 24/7.
      Great, I'll try tomorrow morning and I'll try and get the test working.
      My dad knows a man who's very good with electronics. Do you think he could help instead of having a Sky man come down here and talk **** to me and my dad

lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

What? Do you even Want help? Just ring them, it could be your line is capped because of DLM. No one but sky can help you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lindley010 View Post
      What? Do you even Want help? Just ring them, it could be your line is capped because of DLM. No one but sky can help you.
      Will do When phoning them, I'm guessing that they will ask me to try in the master socket and all that. I will try when my dad is home and he can answer the security. Thanks and will repost later

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Well, the line IS capped so only Sky can remove that. The 'guy' your Dad knows might be able to sort out your internal wiring, though...I'd do it myself and learn a thing or 2 in the process!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Well, the line IS capped so only Sky can remove that. The 'guy' your Dad knows might be able to sort out your internal wiring, though...I'd do it myself and learn a thing or 2 in the process!!
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 378 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 66 db 38 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 9 db

Stats from Reset Router into Test socket

I think my guy can do the wiring.
      Will phone Sky later to find out if it's on a cap.
      Thanks and tell me what you think of these.
      Can't do nothing else with the ports now

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast