Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

This is a discussion on My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by DownloadSpeedof30kbps Ok, I'll have to talk to my Dad because he doesn't even use computers. I am ...

MGSteve is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by DownloadSpeedof30kbps View Post
      Ok, I'll have to talk to my Dad because he doesn't even use computers.
      I am trying to find my maximum access line speed now.
      Will post if I can find
      Easiest thing to do is get him to ring up and then explain to them that he's passing the phone to you as you're tech savvy.

2. Advertisement
      lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Yeah, you can either do two things, ring up, say your not the bill payer but you have his permission, they will ask to talk to your dad, after they've asked him the security questions you can continue with sky.

Or you can just pretend to be him, although im not sure a 14 year old would sound old enough, depending on your voice. Just make sure you don't do anything that would cost your dad, such as paying for a router.

DownloadSpeedof30kbps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGSteve View Post
      Do you know how far away from the exchange you are? We're around 5 miles, which was originally borderline for getting ADSL when it first came out. I was chuffed with 512kb at the time! lol

Anyway, we now get 5-6mb with Sky, so well chuffed. However recently we had line issues which lead to the sort of speeds you're experiencing.

Fortunately we had line noise issues, so it was easy to get Sky to refer it to BT. However, if you've only ever had these speeds, then it may well be either your line or simply the best rate you can get.

The router MUST be connected to the master socket in the house. If you use any extension leads, these will reduce the speeds you can get. With ours plugged into an extension lead (admittedly a rather long one), it dropped the speed down from 5.5mb to 1.5!

Plug it in at the master socket and ring sky up and ask them to set the speed on your line to the maximum they can. The ADSL system is supposed to auto-adjust but in my experience this can be hit and miss, especially if the line has a history of slow speeds.

Finally, if you have wifi, check to see if there are any other Sky users in the neighbourhood and go around knocking doors to try and find them! See what they are getting speed wise as this should help you get an idea as to whether its a problem with the line or simply the maximum you can get.

It does seem very slow though, has to be said.
      Thanks
      Is there anyway I can find how far I am from the exchange
      The max speed I've ever got is about 100kbps
      I will plug my Router into the Master Socket when no-one is using the internet.
      Also, If I have the Micro filter (ADSL/Modem) into the Master then the Grey wire in the ADSL, then plug the extensions into the Modem port, Would that make speeds faster and work TV and Phone?

Thanks

btw, you can use this site to find where your nearest exchange is (assuming that's the one you're connected to)

SamKnows - Broadband Availability Mapping

But it says mine is 1929m away, I know its nearer 5 miles!, so its not spot on.

Thanks

btw, you can use this site to find where your nearest exchange is (assuming that's the one you're connected to)

SamKnows - Broadband Availability Mapping

But it says mine is 1929m away, I know its nearer 5 miles!, so its not spot on.
      Exchange: Llanrumney (3073m away)
      ADSL available at ~1.5Mbps
      ADSL2+ available at ~1.8Mbps
      Cable services available
      Mean anything to any of you?

Thanks

Thanks
      Is there anyway I can find how far I am from the exchange
      The max speed I've ever got is about 100kbps
      I will plug my Router into the Master Socket when no-one is using the internet.
      Also, If I have the Micro filter (ADSL/Modem) into the Master then the Grey wire in the ADSL, then plug the extensions into the Modem port, Would that make speeds faster and work TV and Phone?
      Wooaah! Confused! lol

Do you know if you have a master socket? You can use this guide.. thinkbroadband :: BT Master Socket Identifical Tool for BT Broadband Accelerator / BT I-Plate

If its a master socket, then take the faceplate off (if its attached by wires, its the wrong type). You will then have access to the test socket, so plug the router directly into that. Also disconnect all phones, even if connected into other sockets, to rule them out.

Reboot the router & then ring Sky (probably have to do it on a mobile, so watch the costs). Sky should notice you're ringing on a mobile and offer to call you back . You could always ask them to do this once your dad's got through security.

Ask them to check the line and set the speed to the maximum that they think the line can take.

If its still slow, then the only option is to go around your neighbours and ask them if they have broadband, check its ADSL and then ask them what speed it is. If they don't know get them to go online and then go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (or your favourite line speed test site) and see what it comes back with.

At the end of the day, if your neighbours are getting much faster connections then something's not right somewhere. The complication is if they're not on Sky as it depends what ADSL kit that provider has in the exchange. i.e. I used to get 2Mb on Eclipse. Changed to sky and got 5mb, even though eclipse was on a LLU as well (this was before sky changed to ADSL2). Ideally you need to find a fellow sky bb subscriber.

Thanks

Exchange: Llanrumney (3073m away)
      ADSL available at ~1.5Mbps
      ADSL2+ available at ~1.8Mbps
      Cable services available
      Mean anything to any of you?
      Means that you could be a very long way from the exchange!

The only way to find out for sure is to get onto Sky and see if they can find out. You used to be able to do it from the handset, but BT removed the feature as people and not engineers were using it.

tbh, if Cable is available in your area, it may well be the better option and it does sound like you're on the borderline for ADSL. You need to see what your neighbours get really.

Thanks

well i live 4.5km's away and can get 2.5meg, so you should easily get more speed than you currently have, something is stopping you.

And steve, trust me if you lived 5 miles away from the exchange you would get the speed's of the OP, not 5-6meg.

Thanks

Wooaah! Confused! lol

Do you know if you have a master socket? You can use this guide.. thinkbroadband :: BT Master Socket Identifical Tool for BT Broadband Accelerator / BT I-Plate

If its a master socket, then take the faceplate off (if its attached by wires, its the wrong type). You will then have access to the test socket, so plug the router directly into that. Also disconnect all phones, even if connected into other sockets, to rule them out.

Reboot the router & then ring Sky (probably have to do it on a mobile, so watch the costs). Sky should notice you're ringing on a mobile and offer to call you back . You could always ask them to do this once your dad's got through security.

Ask them to check the line and set the speed to the maximum that they think the line can take.

If its still slow, then the only option is to go around your neighbours and ask them if they have broadband, check its ADSL and then ask them what speed it is. If they don't know get them to go online and then go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (or your favourite line speed test site) and see what it comes back with.

At the end of the day, if your neighbours are getting much faster connections then something's not right somewhere. The complication is if they're not on Sky as it depends what ADSL kit that provider has in the exchange. i.e. I used to get 2Mb on Eclipse. Changed to sky and got 5mb, even though eclipse was on a LLU as well (this was before sky changed to ADSL2). Ideally you need to find a fellow sky bb subscriber.
      Thanks, My 'Master' Socket has wires in it and then a test socket.
      I'm not quite sure where my socket could be because I have 1 phone line running upstairs. I have 2 phones and 2 SkyTV downstairs so a lot of extensions. I will try getting rid of extensions that are not needed.

Thanks

The master socket is the First socket, the one that enters the house. You need to use this one. The router must be plugged into this socket with a microfilter.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast