Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

This is a discussion on My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; CST = Customer Solutions Team (the ones with the power!!! )...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

CST = Customer Solutions Team (the ones with the power!!! )
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Yeah basically CST is usually the ones that know what they are talking about. If the person you speak to first is an idiot and you think your not going anywhere with them, just put the phone down and ring back, sometimes your lucky sometimes your not.

oh and if they say they'll open a ticket and CST will ring you back in 48 hours, don't be surprised if they don't.

DownloadSpeedof30kbps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      CST = Customer Solutions Team (the ones with the power!!! )
      CST Number ?

And also, I'm guessing it's automated so what would it be under
      And last, is it Free?

Thanks

Not that easy im afraid, you might have to talk to a couple of morons first, unless your lucky(there are some very helpful people about, but unfortunately not enough), before you get put through to CST.

Just follow the automated crap until you get put through to standard broadband technical staff who will run through the standard troubleshooting, after they can't fix the problem they will do either of these

1. Blame it on your pc (if they ask you to type Net stat in a cmd prompt, this usually means they are trying to blame it on your pc)

2. Put you through to someone else, hopefully CST

or they might open a ticket up for CST to call you back within 48 hours, they might not call you back so you might have to call them back after the 48 hour period.

I waited a week last time they said CST would ring me back within 48 hours, i ended up just ringing back and asking them to look at the ticket and they put me through.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lindley010 View Post
      Not that easy im afraid, you might have to talk to a couple of morons first, unless your lucky(there are some very helpful people about, but unfortunately not enough), before you get put through to CST.

Just follow the automated crap until you get put through to standard broadband technical staff who will run through the standard troubleshooting, after they can't fix the problem they will do either of these

1. Blame it on your pc (if they ask you to type Net stat in a cmd prompt, this usually means they are trying to blame it on your pc)

2. Put you through to someone else, hopefully CST

or they might open a ticket up for CST to call you back within 48 hours, they might not call you back so you might have to call them back after the 48 hour period.

I waited a week last time they said CST would ring me back within 48 hours, i ended up just ringing back and asking them to look at the ticket and they put me through.
      Seems like hard work.
      I'm only 14 aswell and I'm the only one who knows anything to do with tech.
      So should I test the router again after reseting and see if it gets better but if it doesn't get better then what should I do?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

lindley:

They're not morons, they're there to stop the 'morons' getting to CST!!! netstat is a valid troubleshooting step as if you've got everything closed and you still have a load of enteries then there's a chance of a virus/malware being on the PC!!

DSO30kbps:

08442 410 515 (but you need to be the account holder to get past security questions), it's free if you're on SkyTalk Unlimited (otherwise it's 5p a minute or something)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      lindley:

They're not morons, they're there to stop the 'morons' getting to CST!!! netstat is a valid troubleshooting step as if you've got everything closed and you still have a load of enteries then there's a chance of a virus/malware being on the PC!!

DSO30kbps:

08442 410 515 (but you need to be the account holder to get past security questions), it's free if you're on SkyTalk Unlimited (otherwise it's 5p a minute or something)
      Is there anyway to change manually without calling Sky because I'm not the billpayer.

Thanks

Net stat is not valid troubleshooting for low sync speeds and the router de-syncing.

Since your 14, you aren't the account holder, get the password from the bill payer and their DOB if you don't know it, then just pretend to be that person. if the bill payer is the opposite sex then they'll have to ring up.

Thanks

Ok, I'll have to talk to my Dad because he doesn't even use computers.
      I am trying to find my maximum access line speed now.
      Will post if I can find

MGSteve is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Do you know how far away from the exchange you are? We're around 5 miles, which was originally borderline for getting ADSL when it first came out. I was chuffed with 512kb at the time! lol

Anyway, we now get 5-6mb with Sky, so well chuffed. However recently we had line issues which lead to the sort of speeds you're experiencing.

Fortunately we had line noise issues, so it was easy to get Sky to refer it to BT. However, if you've only ever had these speeds, then it may well be either your line or simply the best rate you can get.

The router MUST be connected to the master socket in the house. If you use any extension leads, these will reduce the speeds you can get. With ours plugged into an extension lead (admittedly a rather long one), it dropped the speed down from 5.5mb to 1.5!

Plug it in at the master socket and ring sky up and ask them to set the speed on your line to the maximum they can. The ADSL system is supposed to auto-adjust but in my experience this can be hit and miss, especially if the line has a history of slow speeds.

Finally, if you have wifi, check to see if there are any other Sky users in the neighbourhood and go around knocking doors to try and find them! See what they are getting speed wise as this should help you get an idea as to whether its a problem with the line or simply the maximum you can get.

It does seem very slow though, has to be said.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast