Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

This is a discussion on My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by MGSteve To be fair, you don't NEED a new faceplate. I only got one because I didn't ...

DownloadSpeedof30kbps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by MGSteve View Post
      To be fair, you don't NEED a new faceplate. I only got one because I didn't like the filter dangling down. If you have cordless phone system in the house, then one filter will do it.

Wire everything up, with the router plugged into the master socket via a filter and see what the stats are like. If they're more or less the same as the above, I personally wouldn't bother with the faceplate - it didn't make a huge difference when I changed it. (although your mileage may vary of course).

Either way, ring sky up tonight and ask them to reset the download speed on your connection. Also get them to reduce you down to the 2-5mb service (unless you want the higher upload speed) as you're paying for a 20mb service when you're barely getting the 2mb service.

Depends what speed it connects at of course when Sky reset the line.
      Thanks, Just simply the best and simplest answer I've had

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Again we've already established his extensions ARE slowing him down so unless he disconnects them from the faceplate it wont go faster.
      Additionally sky havent done a 2-5mb service for a while now and if you wanted unlimited download you had to have the 20mb service since sky broadband started anyway.

I dont believe we really need 10 pages on the topic, all the advise required has been given and is just being repeated or challenged by people who dont seem to know what they're on about.
      I'm only 14 and I've never dealed with telephone lines before so I'm not 100% sure what I read.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DownloadSpeedof30kbps View Post
      Thanks, Just simply the best and simplest answer I've had
      Apart from the fact that it is bad advice, might be an idea to get your dad and his friend to have a look over this thread though if they are going to be doing the work

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Simon, if your line can handle the 20meg, ofcourse they will remove the cap, but this isn't the case, if they removed the cap on his line it would cause a lot more problems. And i didn't 'come in' on page 8, i think you should go back to the beginning. As ive probably helped him more than anyone else, the only thing i don't know about is wiring the extensions as i don't have them. Which was NOT mentioned beforehand.

Although i do agree, until he starts doing the things suggested its just going to get repeated, but that's because he keeps asking for them to be repeated. It would take 5 to 15 minutes to ring sky and i believe a lot of it would get sorted by them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lindley010 View Post
      Simon, if your line can handle the 20meg, ofcourse they will remove the cap, but this isn't the case, if they removed the cap on his line it would cause a lot more problems. And i didn't 'come in' on page 8, i think you should go back to the beginning. As ive probably helped him more than anyone else, the only thing i don't know about is wiring the extensions as i don't have them. Which was NOT mentioned beforehand.

Although i do agree, until he starts doing the things suggested its just going to get repeated, but that's because he keeps asking for them to be repeated. It would take 5 to 15 minutes to ring sky and i believe a lot of it would get sorted by them.
      My line can only handle 13-14mb and they removed the cap, sorry but you dont know what your talking about here. My parents have a 2.5mb connection from sky also uncapped it's a simple matter of speaking to the right person

Ok will do what you said Isitme when I can

So I do this:

1. Plug my Micro into the test socket and the plug all extensions into Modem
      2. Phone up Sky and ask for my download speed cap to be raised/removed (costing nothing)
      3. I get my dad's friend over here and he can see what I need and go and buy it from 1 of the shops that he get's any electrical accessory from.
      4. He can install it and then my dad will pay him
      5. I can download at speeds of 1mbps+

That's my plan and I just need a simple answer! Will it work, Yes or No?

Thanks for all the help guys
      Your simple answer yes apart from #3 where you should really buy the faceplate yourself from adslnation or run-it-direct (i believe he does a discount for skyuser members), the bt one available from shops is simply not as good.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Tbh I know best as I worked for CST for 3 years!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

There is absolute zero advantages of having the cap removed, you've seen my other thread, my line can handle 2.5-3 meg and its set at 8meg, the line is now a lot worse.

A to F
      To be honest simon, your the one that doesn't know what your talking about. Line capped way above limits, 20% packet loss, 3x-4x higher pings and high jitter.
      Compared to line capped at the right speed with 35-45ms ping, 0% packet loss, 1ms jitter.

Why do you think Sky caps your line? Because having it capped too high(or not at all) causes the line to be unstable.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Ok will do what you said Isitme when I can

So I do this:

1. Plug my Micro into the test socket and the plug all extensions into Modem
      2. Phone up Sky and ask for my download speed cap to be raised/removed (costing nothing)
      3. I get my dad's friend over here and he can see what I need and go and buy it from 1 of the shops that he get's any electrical accessory from.
      4. He can install it and then my dad will pay him
      5. I can download at speeds of 1mbps+

That's my plan and I just need a simple answer! Will it work, Yes or No?

Thanks for all the help guys
      You still have not answered my question. Are there wires connected to the faceplate of your master socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

DownloadSpeedof30kbps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You still have not answered my question. Are there wires connected to the faceplate of your master socket?
      I will check now as no one is using the internet.
      I can't phone or buy anything because none of my parents are home
      It's not easy when you're a 14 year old talking to people with years of experiences.

Be right back

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGSteve View Post
      Either way, ring sky up tonight and ask them to reset the download speed on your connection. Also get them to reduce you down to the 2-5mb service (unless you want the higher upload speed) as you're paying for a 20mb service when you're barely getting the 2mb service.

Depends what speed it connects at of course when Sky reset the line.
      There is no '2-5mb' service. There are two packages; everyday lite & unlimited, both of which go up to 20480kbps down / 1312kbps up.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but you're currently capped at 384/800 adsl2plus. As mentioned, call sky up, get through to CST and it should be sorted in a jiffy (assuming your internal wiring is all good).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lindley010 View Post
      There is absolute zero advantages of having the cap removed, you've seen my other thread, my line can handle 2.5-3 meg and its set at 8meg, the line is now a lot worse.

A to F
      To be honest simon, your the one that doesn't know what your talking about. Line capped way above limits, 20% packet loss, 3x-4x higher pings and high jitter.
      Compared to line capped at the right speed with 35-45ms ping, 0% packet loss, 1ms jitter.

Why do you think Sky caps your line? Because having it capped too high(or not at all) causes the line to be unstable.
      The cap isnt required in most cases and i'll explain why. Your target SnR is 7db when the line is uncapped the router when it syncs up syncs at a speed to match the target snr of 7db. Now the router is synced up it requires the SnR to drop to near 0 to drop the connection - now the majority of phone lines wont drop by that much and the customer will have a perfectly fine stable connection. Even if it does drop by that much the router will resync at a lower speed to 7db again and will be perfectly stable. You lindley have a fault on your line with an SnR fluctuating far too much and if you left your router to sync up at a lower speed automatically your line quality will go back to where it was. Sky never used to cap lines when it was introduced the capping was brought in because there are people out there with bad extension wiring/bad phone lines causing lots of snr fluctuation and instability.
      Now i've explained it to you can we please keep this thread on topic to the posters issue and deal with yours in your thread?

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast