Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

This is a discussion on My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You get instructions with the faceplate on how to wire it up, but do NOT get the one you linked ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: My Stats from Test Socket - Please Say If Anything Wrong

You get instructions with the faceplate on how to wire it up, but do NOT get the one you linked up there ^^^

The tool is fine but get one of the ones I linked to as you get what you pay for - don't scrimp now!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just to make things as clear as I can. The wires leading to extensions in your house are fixed to the faceplate of the NTE5 socket. These wires must be removed from the old faceplate and fixed to the new one. If you have extensions and do not have wires on the faceplate, then your wiring has been done incorrectly. If you do not have fixed extensions, ie, the type that are fixed to or into the wall, you do not need a filtered faceplate. Apart from the cosmetic appearance, it will serve no purpose.

Yeah hes confused me too, As far as im aware, you remove the old faceplate and put the new one on. As you aren't changing the whole socket, just the faceplate.
      Maybe you should learn a bit more before offering advice.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You saying if he has wall mounted extensions he DOESN'T need a filtered faceplate?? Don't agree with that at all, parents had an NTE5 correctly wired and had a speed drop from 5.5 to 2.5Mbps until I got a filtered faceplate.

Regardless it's always better to keep things neat...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

DownloadSpeedof30kbps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

So, In simple words
      What should I do all together?
      Could I wire it myself or would it be to hard?
      I think I'll talk to my dad later and ask him to see if his friend can come over and see what needs doing.
      He'll probably go to a shop somewhere and buy the equipment needed and fix it himself.
      I will then phone Sky and ask them to up my download speed cap to max.

Is that alright?

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DownloadSpeedof30kbps View Post
      So, In simple words
      1. What should I do all together?
      2. Could I wire it myself or would it be to hard?
      I think I'll talk to my dad later and ask him to see if his friend can come over and see what needs doing.
      He'll probably go to a shop somewhere and buy the equipment needed and fix it himself.

Is that alright?
      1. Get and fit a high quality filtered faceplate - if your paying any less than 10 your getting a poor quality one which may not have the unfiltered terminals and may reduce your connection speed. My recommendation is always dont be tight it's a one off purchase and will last years and years.
      Before you get the filtered faceplate however run the router from the test socket and give sky a ring to remove/raise the cap on your connection - this is what a filtered faceplate does, remove the interference that extensions cause. Theres little point suffering with the low download rate when as a temporary solution using the test socket will give you the same good rate.
      2. It's very easy to wire yourself requiring maybe only 30 minutes with the right tools (IDC Tool + Screwdriver) all you have to do is look at the wiring on the back of your current faceplate and make a note of it then disconnect it and wire it onto the filtered outputs of the filtered faceplate using your notes.

Lindley we had already established he has an NTE5 socket so why did you come in on page 8 asking him to confirm this? Also contrary to what you say sky can uncap the connection completely or set the cap at 20mb if you speak to the right person I have mine uncapped and can adjust my own snr for more/less speed on my backup router if I wish.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You saying if he has wall mounted extensions he DOESN'T need a filtered faceplate??
      No, if you read it again you will see that I said - "If you do not have fixed extensions,"

Just tell us if there are wires connected to the faceplate you removed to get at the Test socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Maybe you should learn a bit more before offering advice.
      Why would i need to know anything about extensions, i was right, so are you(at least some of your post)

So maybe id rather help someone that just tell people they are wrong?

MGSteve is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DownloadSpeedof30kbps View Post
      So, In simple words
      Could I wire it myself or would it be to hard?

Is that alright?
      To be fair, you don't NEED a new faceplate. I only got one because I didn't like the filter dangling down. If you have cordless phone system in the house, then one filter will do it.

Wire everything up, with the router plugged into the master socket via a filter and see what the stats are like. If they're more or less the same as the above, I personally wouldn't bother with the faceplate - it didn't make a huge difference when I changed it. (although your mileage may vary of course).

Either way, ring sky up tonight and ask them to reset the download speed on your connection. Also get them to reduce you down to the 2-5mb service (unless you want the higher upload speed) as you're paying for a 20mb service when you're barely getting the 2mb service.

Depends what speed it connects at of course when Sky reset the line.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGSteve View Post
      To be fair, you don't NEED a new faceplate. I only got one because I didn't like the filter dangling down. If you have cordless phone system in the house, then one filter will do it.

Wire everything up, with the router plugged into the master socket via a filter and see what the stats are like. If they're more or less the same as the above, I personally wouldn't bother with the faceplate - it didn't make a huge difference when I changed it. (although your mileage may vary of course).

Either way, ring sky up tonight and ask them to reset the download speed on your connection. Also get them to reduce you down to the 2-5mb service (unless you want the higher upload speed) as you're paying for a 20mb service when you're barely getting the 2mb service.

Depends what speed it connects at of course when Sky reset the line.
      Again we've already established his extensions ARE slowing him down so unless he disconnects them from the faceplate it wont go faster.
      Additionally sky havent done a 2-5mb service for a while now and if you wanted unlimited download you had to have the 20mb service since sky broadband started anyway.

I dont believe we really need 10 pages on the topic, all the advise required has been given and is just being repeated or challenged by people who dont seem to know what they're on about.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

DownloadSpeedof30kbps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Ok will do what you said Isitme when I can

So I do this:

1. Plug my Micro into the test socket and the plug all extensions into Modem
      2. Phone up Sky and ask for my download speed cap to be raised/removed (costing nothing)
      3. I get my dad's friend over here and he can see what I need and go and buy it from 1 of the shops that he get's any electrical accessory from.
      4. He can install it and then my dad will pay him
      5. I can download at speeds of 1mbps+

That's my plan and I just need a simple answer! Will it work, Yes or No?

Thanks for all the help guys

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast