Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Words cannot describe my frustration....

This is a discussion on Words cannot describe my frustration.... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Was with orange prior to Sky, who were pretty poor. I moved house and got sky phone/internet/tv all in one ...

Aphex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Words cannot describe my frustration....

Was with orange prior to Sky, who were pretty poor.

I moved house and got sky phone/internet/tv all in one package with sky connect. Got the Sagem F@st modem (fast? yeah right...)

Anyway, first off i've had nothing but problems and its getting worse.

The most obvious is trying to play online. Trying to play bad company 2 is a nightmare, the game never connects and the lag is terrible. Each time i join a game i get kicked. Ive opened the ports to no avail. As a test i ran the setting for the DMZ (cant remember what exactly, but its the DMZ tickbox in the settings).

Success, everything worked fine for about 2 hours, then worse than ever.

My other gripe is the excessive poor connection during peak times. I know Sky throttle between 5pm onwards and ive complained, as its excessive. It takes around 10 minutes to stream a 2 minute youtube video. All Sky said was they wanted me to do 6x speedtests. Im not going to bother because i know what they are going to say, (that all is fine).

If anyone can assist with the bad company 2 issue it might help other issues such as the constant crap connection and terrible lag.

Ive got the router wired up with all the filters and it connects to the pc via the ethernet. No wireless connection or anything else stealing the bandwidth. All antivirus, firewalls etc have all been turned off.

I know its sky (or more specific, i believe the router) because i never had these problems with orange.

Im either considering a new router or buying out my last 10 months (which will cost a fortune) and switiching ISP because Sky is pretty much unuseable most of the time.

Any help/suggestions apprecaited, this is my last chance saloon here

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Words cannot describe my frustration....

All I will suggest is that you look at this thread and the many others concerning how poor the Connect package is -
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

One thing has become apparent, Connect is severely throttled in peak times, whether you use a lot or not.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Aphex
      Hi the thing is sky will only take any notice of the Bt speed test Bt Updated Speed Tester do the tests any time between 5pm and Midnight then do the test after Midnight and before 5pm and see the difference you need the tests as proof of the throttling. You need to copy, paste and post them on your thread. online gaming with the connect package is no good it does not work. There are many threads about the problems with the connect package here`s a couple (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users and Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers guys, any suggestions as to what i can do? Ive tinkered with all manner of settings to get the damn thing to work properly. Ive been at it for 4 hours now and have a headache.

I assume im stuck with something i cant use?

Ive done a couple of bt testers, one of the off peak came back at about 5meg, the on peak came back at about 1meg.

But regardless, it doesnt matter if i got high speeds all the time, i think i want out of the service and that isnt going to happen is it?

Thanks

Aphex
      Hi that`s the reason for the Bt speed tests as proof. There has been a lot of connect Customers who have left in contract. The reason the connect package is unusable. At the moment there is no fix there are rumours on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? on page 165 post #1642 also at the moment sky are unbundling exchanges. You can check your exchange details on the link SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok understood, i'll go with what Sky want me to do on the tests, but i cant see it helping me any.

Thanks

Aphex
      Hi it helps you not Sky. it shows that you are being throttled not traffic managed and Sky against Sky T& Cs

The Connect Package Terms and Conditions
      SKY BROADBAND CONNECT NETWORK MANAGEMENT POLICY

Sky Broadband Connect is subject to a Network Management Policy in addition to the monthly Usage Cap.

We continuously monitor and efficiently manage the performance of Sky Broadband Connect to ensure that we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers. When our network is busy we give priority to applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging, gaming and VOIP.

This means that certain applications which use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer file-sharing, large file downloads and newsgroups), which have a negative effect on other customers, may run slower at peak times. Our network is busiest between 4pm and 11pm on weekdays and all day at the weekend, but can be busy at other times too, depending on regional, national and international demand.

In addition, we monitor customers who use the most bandwidth and whose usage is having a negative effect on other customers. Customers who breach the Usage Cap or who regularly download large amounts at peak times will have restrictions placed on their accounts to reduce their download speeds at peak times. Only a small number of customers will be affected by this, typically fewer than 5%. We remove these restrictions when our network is not busy.

Did you have a look to see if your exchange has been unbundled also some exchanges that were unbundled June and July. There is more exchanges being unbundled.
      Sky still unbundling :: Sky Broadband :: think broadband

Exchange:
      Thanks

Mine hasnt, but its an exchange in the middle of nowhere. Only serves 2000 people.

Thanks

Aphex
      Hi here`s a link that you might find interesting Sky unbundling small exchanges Does this mean Sky is upgrading my exchange? Do you have any LLU ISPs at your exchange.