Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What speed should I get?

This is a discussion on What speed should I get? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Before I got moved to SBVN I used to get a downstream sync of 3900kbps and up 768kbps. This was ...

lezperez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mountain Ash
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Angry What speed should I get?

Before I got moved to SBVN I used to get a downstream sync of 3900kbps and up 768kbps. This was six months ago.

Since then my speed has been all over the place. One day its on 3000 then it goes to 1200 sometimes down as low as 800! So after numerous phone calls they sent a BT engineer and a new router. They changed my phone socket, internal wiring and the cable that goes from my house to the box at the end of the street. The BT guy plugged his laptop into my line and got 3500 down.

However this is what I get now

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3008 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 16 db

My upstream was only 256 but I phoned them and after half hour of them telling me my line wouldnt go any higher I got put through to someone else who got it to 416 but again told me it wont go any higher.

They just keep telling me that my line wont go any higher and that they cant put my upload speed up because it will affect my download speed etc.

Basically I just want to know if I'm ever gonna get back the speed that I used to have. Everytime your on hold they tell you "Sky will give you the fastest speed possible on your line" but they wont!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: What speed should I get?

With your stats you could get a little more on both upload and download but not much and if the agent says that it is becoming more unstable there is little you can do.

Some people have noticed a drop in speed when connected to the SVBN system, it looks like you may be one of them

Thanks

Yes but last week my upload was 608 so I know it goes higher and since I've been on the SBVN I did get a download speed of 3600 but my speed would always drop over time till the BT guy came out.

I spoke to someone called Chris who was the most helpful person I've ever spoken to in 6 months and he put me on 3000 and said to see if it remains stable or if it drops again and he would phone back in a week. Trouble is he never did and when you phone you have to go through it all again with someone else!

Im just annoyed because obviously I'm never going to get mega speeds so it makes sense that I would want the fastest speed I can possibly get and they just try and fob me off all the time!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The problem is, on longer lines like yours the noise margin can fluctuate quite a lot during the daytime/evening so just because you have a little noise margin to spare now does not mean you will have it to spare all the time.

Also, even with your 10db noise margin, if the agent sees errors on the line, they will be reluctant to increase the speed further because you could actually end up with a slower real world speed as more and more data has to be resent thus actually slowing it down because it is sending it multiple times.

I honestly think you may be getting all your current setup allows but without speaking with a CST agent who will make changes to your line as you are talking to him/her I don't think you will see any improvement.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You appear to be on G.DMT and capped both up and down. This may have been done to stabilise your line before the wiring problems were fixed. You really need to get through to CST and get someone who can configure your line properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Any tips on getting through to them? I spent half hour on the phone on friday with the guy telling me thats all your gonna get, then got put through to someone else who changed my upload to 416 the he said hed put me through to another department but they were busy so he said they'd phone me back but they haven't.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I'd advise you run router stats lite for a couple of days and report back on how the SnR and sync speed vary over the time. Then we can give you a bit more of an idea of if you can get more and what to say to sky.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Since the wiring was changed the only time my sync speed changes is when someone from Sky changes it.

The upstream SnR is always the same. The downstream attenuation stays at 52 and the noise margin flucuates between 7 - 10. Usually 7 in the night 10 in the day.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Right well if you can get them to adjust it when the Downstream noise margin is at 10db then you should be able to get back up to at least 3.5mb but please note that if you reboot your router in the evening it will drop down to 3mb as the line is noisier then. The router should be able to hold the connection though with only a 3db drop from the default. My DG934g runs fine with this kind of drop at least. As for the upstream i'd expect them to be able to get it up to 700kbps.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Well on Friday he kept telling me that my upload wouldn't be able to go any higher as it would make my download go down is that right? Even thought I used to get 768?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast