Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Account Set-Up Problem

This is a discussion on New Account Set-Up Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi - I was hoping someone could help me with a rather unusual problem, as the guys who work directly ...

welshy1982 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNWXN
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New Account Set-Up Problem

Hi - I was hoping someone could help me with a rather unusual problem, as the guys who work directly for Sky seem pretty unhelpful / incompetent...please bear with me though as this will take some explanation.

Ok - to begin with, I moved into my house, which has a BT line about 2 and a bit years ago, it was a new build and we were the first owners. I have had o2 Broadband for the entire time.

When we moved into the house, we were given a plot number as a temporary address rather than a permanent house number until the building on my estate was complete. During this time I took out a Sky TV account registered to the plot number.

Today I tried to take out a broadband account with Sky, gave them my MAC code and advised them that my address had changed to a permanent address (this changed from a plot number to a registered permanent address). The rep I spoke to said he would put the order through and then change my address. Alas, once the order was placed, he decided he did not have the right access levels to change my address. He told me to call a different number.

I then spoke to a guy in the general Customer services area, who decided that the best course of action was to cancel my order, change my address and place another order. He was going to do this then call me back to confirm the order had been placed. He didn't.

After about 6 or 7 hours of waiting I called back, to be told that there was a problem with my line and BT had placed a service on my line which was not compatible with their Sky Unlimited package - and that I should contact BT...I got the distinct feeling that I was being dismissed, so I checked with BT as a matter of course who confirmed nothing had been changed on my line.

I have a theory that because I am an existing Sky TV Customer, and because an order has been on my account once in a fixed period, that they cannot add another Broadband order to my account right now - to test this theory, logging into MySky I tried to add Broadband to my account and received an error message saying that I cannot add broadband as I have made a change to my account in the past 30 days.

Extremely frustrating, but my major concern is this:

1) Sky offer the best available speed / product on my exchange to suit my needs...they are the only LLU enabled service (apart from AOL)...
      2) I am a home worker - part of my employment contract for the bank I work for is that I need to be available for work pretty much most of the time. I gave Sky my MAC code and received a switch on date for my original order (now cancelled) so I think that on that date (26th August) my Broadband will be switched off...

Anyway, that sums up my problem - I apolgise for the length of this post, but if anyone has any similar experiences...I really need to try and make sure I get this one sorted, but Sky don't seem too helpful to be fair. If anyone can give any advice it would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: New Account Set-Up Problem

Any ideas folks? Apologies for the bump...

Spoke to them again today and they maintained this stance that BT had an incompatible product on my line - then at the end of a frustrating call, when I asked for a supervisor - the response I got was that I would have to wait 7 days until I could place another order - so annoying really...

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welshy1982 View Post
      I am a home worker - part of my employment contract for the bank I work for is that I need to be available for work pretty much most of the time.
      I hope you haven't said that to Sky. The Broadband T & Cs are very clear in specifying that Sky BB is for domestic use only and use for business purposes is prohibited.

You don't mention what BT phone package you have. Some, like BT Basic, are not compatible with Sky and would need upgrading before you can switch.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It may not be the reason, but if you have another ISP on your line, this may show as an 'incompatible product'. If you are using a MAC that should not be a problem, so it may not be the case. If your phone line has been taken over by another LLU provider, it could cause a problem, but if you are with BT on standard rental, there should be none. Sky are probably pressing the wrong buttons.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

When I was trying to get on O2 LLU, it was showing up as "incompatable product" after some digging apparently this was due to the exchange being full and this was the error message attached to it.

May be the same for Sky that the exchange is full and the system hasn't got an error message for that.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Cheers folks

They've told me I can re-order it after 26th August, so i assume its down to a mistake on their part. If I cant order then I will give up the ghost.

In answer to some of the questions:

1) BT package 3 (anytime unlimited?)
      2) Never had an LLU Service on my line
      3) Brand new build when we bought the house, I paid for the first line to be connected (ever)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post
      I hope you haven't said that to Sky. The Broadband T & Cs are very clear in specifying that Sky BB is for domestic use only and use for business purposes is prohibited.

You don't mention what BT phone package you have. Some, like BT Basic, are not compatible with Sky and would need upgrading before you can switch.
      It's not my business - I'm just the monkey, not the organ grinder!!!