Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can somebody help me with Line information please?

This is a discussion on Can somebody help me with Line information please? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Cables don't always follow the main road. if they are on another ISP they could get higher, especially if on ...

lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Can somebody help me with Line information please?

Cables don't always follow the main road. if they are on another ISP they could get higher, especially if on virgin media (10 meg fibre optic), other isps don't usually provide routers with ****ty firmware on. This firmware aims for a Noise margin of 7db, other routers will aim for a lower NM which will allow for higher sync speeds, with the chance of instability.

is your neighbour directly next to you? could you get the router stats from your neighbours router?

Also, has your stats/speed always been the same?

2. Advertisement
      lanerobertlane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I just got off the phone with sky again.

My neighbour does live next door and is also on sky. I brought there router and micro-filter round today while on the phone and hooked that up to my line. The results were the same.

I cant remember there stats off hand but i did take a look and it was significantly higher. Sky have put it down to our line being old and my neighbours line being only a couple of years old and having a better attenuation.

My stats have always hopped around 4-6mb so i cant really complain, its better than most of the country and obviously the best my line can receive and i cant grumble at the customer service cus its always been spot on.

Being one for the best deal and not using the land line for anything other than broadband i've worked out that i can cancel sky talk and sky BB and take out Fibre optic 20mb broadband and still be paying out the same as i am now. So i think i'll stick with Sky TV, cancel talk and BB and take out fibre optic since all the old NTL connections are still in the house it should cut the cost of installation.

Thanks for all your advice and if i do stick with sky and i have any problems i know where to come.

Rob

lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You can get Free installation with virgin with certain packages, do not get the 10 meg virgin package if you download a lot, as during peak times virgin will throttle the internet to around 25% of the speed, they also throttle the 20meg package, however you can download a lot more before been throttled, the 10 meg package is around 2-3gb before throttling, 20meg is about double that. Virgin will not throttle your internet if you do not go over the allowance. (its on their site)

Don't forget BT is laying down fibre optic at the moment, although i don't know if they are laying down in your area. (Bt will sell their fibre optic network to sky, the same way they sell their copper cables) However if you can currently get virgin, its likely than bt will lay down in your area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12