Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

HELP! Don't understand the 'use graph'

This is a discussion on HELP! Don't understand the 'use graph' within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yesterday I got email from Sky to say I had used over 70% of my 2GB allowance. I worked out ...

katilea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky plus with Broadband
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

HELP! Don't understand the 'use graph'

Yesterday I got email from Sky to say I had used over 70% of my 2GB allowance.

I worked out how to find my usage graph where it said same on first page but then when went to click on graph it shows each month around 7,8, 9 with last dec been lowest at around 4.

This month is on number 9 already, so I don't understand if that's on 9 (it says GB's at side) how does that equal 70% of 2GB??

This is besides the fact that when I phoned sky the last time they put my broadband up (it was originally free with broadband and TV for 16) they told me I was paying 5 for it cos I had gone over the limit for free. I asked 'so am I now on unlimited?, person replied Yes!

So I thought I was already on Unlimited. Confused yet??? you're not the only one!!

I don't download music, movies or watch TV on computer. I don't download loads of software/updates everyday (Mac's don't need them as often as windows)

I just use it for research, email, chatting, shopping and use wordpress blogs and facebook. I was surprised someone told me UPLOADING photo's used gigs as I thought it was all about how much you DOWNLOADED?

Anyone know which activity uses most gigs and how do I make sense of the usage graph and how much I have left?

2. Advertisement
      telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: HELP! Don't understand the 'use graph'

All online activity contributes to your usage. Uploading a 1mb photo is the same as downloading a 1mb video. Heaviest contributors to usage is going to be anything with video (iplayer and youtube etc). If you are on Unlimited you have nothing to worry about.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are not on Unlimited or you would not have a usage meter. I think you have probably been raised from the free one to Everyday(Mid) which has a download limit of 10Gb. As from next month, along with everyone on Everyday, you will be moved to Unlimited at a cost of 7.50.

Is your wireless secure?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

it makes more sense that its 10GB if they informing me now when I'm on 9 but on the page before the graph it says

Allowance this period 2GB
      GB and percentage used: 1.47 = 73.5%
      Next Allowance: 25 days

Then as I said when click on graph page most months are between 7-9GB and I haven't gone over 10GB on any of the months since December yet in the email they send me they said:

"If you go over your 2GB allowance once more within the 5 months period since you last went over we'll automatically move you up to sky broadband unlimited"

So am I on 2GB or 10GB??? I'm confused???

Lastly, as I'm never going over 10GB what if I don't want to upgrade and pay any more for Unlimited? Do I get a choice? (you said everybody gets moved onto it next month?)

telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

You were likely on the mid package which was 10gb per month. During the recent revision of the broadband products, mid was dropped and Everyday Lite was introduced which carries a 2gb limit. Looks like you have went from Mid to Everyday Lite. Next step up is Unlimited so if you blow your 2gb allowance again you will automatically be upgraded.

Thanks

they told me I was paying 5 for it cos I had gone over the limit for free. I asked 'so am I now on unlimited?, person replied Yes!
      That was incorrect information, 5, even with discounts has never got you Unlimited. You have been speaking to an airhead.

I think they have made a mess of the usage charts. It seems they are using the new notification for those on the new Everyday Lite, even though it has not officially started. Previous to 1st Sept., anyone on Lite going over their allowance would have been moved to Everyday, which you were. Now it looks like they have updated the notifications and don't have an option to move from Everyday to Unlimited as according to their system, Everyday no longer exists.

Lastly, as I'm never going over 10GB what if I don't want to upgrade and pay any more for Unlimited? Do I get a choice? (you said everybody gets moved onto it next month?)
      On 1st Sept., Everyday will officially cease to exist and every one on it will move to Unlimited. The only other options is to leave or if your usage is low enough revert back to Everyday Lite. Obviously your usage is too high to revert back.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

oh, so if I phone and ask them to switch now will it still only cost me 7.50?

Or should I just let them do it automatically when I go over? will it still be 7.50, cos on their website it says 12 something for unlimited unless you are on Sky Talk too?

I have to keep BT line for Typetalk service as I'm deaf and need to use their relay operator system to phone anyone who doesn't have a textphone.. so virtually anyone ie. doctors, vets, housing, sky etc...

A few years back I was looking at NTL I was told if I took their phone service I would then have to pay 15 per call for 'operator assistance' via typetalk which is way too much as I need it for every phone call except to deaf friends who have a minicom too! so have to keep my phone line on BT to get the typetalk service free.

I did think of switching to BT for everything but their TV package doesn't have my favourite channels on Entertainment package.

Actually 7.50 instead of 5 isn't bad for unlimited (unless they charge me the 12 price) but how long before they put it up again?

By the way I checked my bank and they have taken payment out for this month which includes the price of mid package so I should have 10GB until the end of this month as it has been paid for, so thats unfair and then they can charge me again as soon as i go over 2GB to move up to Unlimited???

Anyone got a contact for complaints dept?
      Last edited by katilea; 12-08-10 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks

I don't know what is happening with your account, but if you don't have Sky Talk, you should be paying 10 for Everyday, not 5, which is the discounted price. The cost of Unlimited, with a TV subscription, but not Sky Talk will be 12.50. The cost of Everyday Lite(2Gb) will be 5 without Sky Talk, free with it. What package do they say you are on in the broadband details on your MySky page.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

It says Sky Broadband Everyday Lite and has a horizontal bar under it thats now 74.5%. On this page is says allowance is 2GB and next allowance in 24 days.

If I click on 'view my usage history' there is a graph with GB's running up the vertical axis and months along the bottom.

None of the months are under 2GB the least is December which it starts from which is just over 4 and other months are between 7 and 10 but none of them over 10GB. This months is just on the 9GB on that page!

Will I have enough until end of month if I only do email and browsing, no photos or video uploads. downloads?

If they are upgrading everyone at 7.50 automatically as some one else said on here does that mean if they upgrade me and I didnt ask for it I will get it for 7.50 instead of 12?

How do I know if my wireless is secure? It just has the password on the back of the router. I guess if someone has software they could find it, I can see my neighbours networks, they could probably see mine on their list too??

Thanks

If they are upgrading everyone at 7.50 automatically as some one else said on here does that mean if they upgrade me and I didnt ask for it I will get it for 7.50 instead of 12?
      As I said, I don't know what has happened to your account. If you have been consistently over your allowance you should have been upgraded and charged 10. It seems that has not happened and you have been moved from the free Lite package to the paid for Lite package instead. I would think you will be moved to Unlimited like everyone else and as you don't have Sky Talk, you will be charged 12.50.

How do I know if my wireless is secure? It just has the password on the back of the router. I guess if someone has software they could find it, I can see my neighbours networks, they could probably see mine on their list too??
      You should go into the router wireless settings delete the existing password and type in a password of your own. The default password, especially on the white router is not secure.

TomD

Useful Utilites