Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Is it normal?

This is a discussion on Is it normal? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right it's disconnecting and stuff, really annoying now. So let's start this off. Initiall I had it setup with a ...

CoconutPete is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Is it normal?

Right it's disconnecting and stuff, really annoying now. So let's start this off.

Initiall I had it setup with a filter from the main socket with three connections(phone, one sky box & extension for router), then a filter on the extension for the router. For this setup, these were the stats...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps 393 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 37.3 db
      Noise Margin 13.0 db 8.5 db
      then I changed all that, got rid of the extension, and took the phone line out of the sky box and put that into the router, so a direct connection from the 3 connection filter to the router, and for that the stats were..

Connection Speed 9215 kbps 891 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0 db 9.8 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 8.0 db
      NOW...I'm on it direct through the test socket and with no phone or sky boxes connects, JUST the router, and my stats are....

Connection Speed 9215 kbps 966 kbps
      Line Attenuation 20.5 db 9.7 db
      Noise Margin 22.0 db 8.5 db

It hasn't disconnected yet. But can someone tell me what these numbers are supposed to be like because they are all over the place, I've been told 7 db was the normal, but now in the test socket it's randomly 22 db? I'm totally lost.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Ok, so let's get this straight -

The third, and most recent, set of stats are from the test socket with just the set-up as follows: test socket > microfilter > router (using the short grey dsl cable sky supplied)?

If so, then there's some kind of internal wiring or set-up issue going on here. If you screw the master socket faceplate back on and connect the filter and grey dsl cable going the router and with all other devices on extension sockets unplugged, re-take the stats. If the noise margin drops back down to 7db, then you're looking at an internal wiring fault.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes the third set is from the master socket. It should also be noted that when I did it from the master socket yesterday.....the number were mostly the same except the downstrea margin, which wait there, these numbers are in here somewhere...

ok numbers from master socket yesterday were...

Connection Speed 4095 kbps 510 kbps
      Noise Margin 19.2 db 23.0 db

So what's an internal wiring fault?

Everything I am using right now are the wires/filters that came with the router. the yellow ethernet cable as I'm sitting next to the socket with my macbook, and the grey phone cable.

When I got the 7db one, I was using my own personally ethernet cable. But ethernet cables make no difference I assume, because I get these same stats when the macbook is wireless -_-

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Connection Speed 9215 kbps 891 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0 db 9.8 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 8.0 db
      Connection Speed 9215 kbps 966 kbps
      Noise Margin 22.0 db 8.5 db
      The bold figures are the important ones. The first set show that you are getting as much as you can with the way your wiring is set up. The second set, direct from the Test socket show that you canget considerably more, possibly double your present speed. This means your internal wiring is dragging your speed down. If you leave it in the Test socket tonight, you will find your speed rises at least into double figures, possibly to 17-18000kbps when the line resyncs in the early hours..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

yeah im leaving it in the test socket for now, while the syncing and dlm stuff finishes.

its been about an hour and hasn't disconnected so far, which is what was concerning me the most.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The internal wiring problems you have which are dragging your noise margin down can also easily cause disconnection issues.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123