Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is it normal?

This is a discussion on Is it normal? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Everyone back in as it was with the odd change in cables. So I assume it's all good from this. ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Is it normal?

Everyone back in as it was with the odd change in cables. So I assume it's all good from this. Must have been one of the filters or something.
      It could be down to the line being a bit nosier, but your new figures are slightly down on your test socket. 3 dbs may not seem much but it could make a big difference to your final speed, given your low attenuation. You will have to phone Sky and ask them to take the cap off your connection and you should see a large rise in your speed.

When you plug the sky boxes back in, make sure they go through filters and take your stats after connecting each one to make sure they are not causing problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      CoconutPete is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You must have both multiroom boxes plugged into the phone sockets at all times, failure to do so will mean that Sky will bill you 2 x the full subscriptions because they cannot tell that the two receivers are in the same property, you could have given one to a friend etc.

This is clearly stated in the T&C's for ,ultiroom and you may want to check your monthly bill to ensure you are not being charged double the amount.
      Nope, guess they don't mind, we pay exactly 10 for it. I don't think either box has been plugged in for a year now because we haven't messed with the router and line for over a year now.

And the speed doesn't matter that much to me, I'm getting what they said I'd get on the first day which is 4mb, if it stopped at that I wouldn't be upset, that's fine, just the constant disconnecting was bothering, you guys fixed that, thanks alot for that.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Nope, guess they don't mind, we pay exactly 10 for it. I don't think either box has been plugged in for a year now
      You have been lucky so far, there are several cases on the forum where users have been charged double. I do mean double, if you have Sky World for instance, you are charged twice for it. You are supposed to be warned by email phone or letter that your boxes are not connected, but some say they have had no notification. Check your bill, if you are the type that does not check their bank account on a regular basis you may find you are being charged without knowing it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Never had my multiroom box plugged in during the 3 years I worked for Sky - never got charged (but then again, I didn't anyway!!). Parents still don't have it plugged in now and it's been almost a year since leaving...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps 510 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0 db 9.8 db
      Noise Margin 16.7 db 22.0 db
      Hey again. It just went off a few times again, so I check to see if the stats had changed, and some have significantly changed.....

Connection Speed 9215 kbps 891 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 8.0 db

Now I know about the speed syncing and all that, but I'm curious if both of the noise margin dropping by over double is good thing or bad things? Thanks

telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
      Hey again. It just went off a few times again, so I check to see if the stats had changed, and some have significantly changed.....

Connection Speed 9215 kbps 891 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 8.0 db

Now I know about the speed syncing and all that, but I'm curious if both of the noise margin dropping by over double is good thing or bad things? Thanks
      The margins will drop as the speed increases. Margins are close to default on those stats but your downstream should be a lot more impressive. Somethings still not right.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No my downstream is still only that low because it's still syncing and stuff, it only went from 4mb to 9mb this morning, so that I'm not worried, just the disconnecting really. I expect it to get to about 18mb or something once the 10 days syncing is up, but i'd be happy at 9mb/1mb up, it gives me what I need, anything above is nice, but also a bonus for me.

I did a bit more tinkering and have taken out a few filters for the phone to the moden, as it was going through an extension since it has to be in the same room with the xbox and PC that doesn't use wireless. Instead I've taken the cable we used to have plugged into the Sky Box in that room and put that in the Router, so a direct link from the phone now.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you'll need to plug in the test socket if you've got one to see a (hopefully) better noise margin to suggest more to be had. At present you're near the maximum
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You are getting all you can.

Your noise margin being near the 7db level means that you will not see any more speed, DLM will not allow the noise margin to go below 6.9db.

Something is causing noise on your line, usually this is due to internal wiring/setup. You need to get the router stats from the TEST socket to see if there is anything you need to sort out.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

my test socket stats are on the first page....

like i've said over and over again, the speed isn't a issue so let's not worry about that. I'm just curious about the disconnecting, but it seems to be good now(again),

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast