Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line speed

This is a discussion on Line speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys. I've just managed to get sky broadband again in my new home. I was with BT at first ...

doom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen/Kinkorth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Line speed

Hi guys. I've just managed to get sky broadband again in my new home. I was with BT at first and my Line Attenuation was 21.0 db and Noise Margin was 8-9 db downstream on an up to 8 meg connection.

Now I just connected my sky router and am now getting Line Attenuation 28.0 db and Noise Margin 14.5 db downstream. Is this normal for sky? (cant remember what happened last time I was with them). When I put my original Line Attenuation in the adsl2 Line Speed Calculator on this site I was quoted up to 24 meg so I was pretty exited. Now with the new Attenuation I'm quoted up to 16 meg so not so exited.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Line speed

BT use (on the exchanges they have not yet upgraded) plain ADSL, on Sky you will be on ADSL2+ which always reports a higher attenuation. Apart from this, different routers will nearly always read the attenuation differently. This is why it is difficult to give an estimate on what you will get with Sky until you plug in the Sky router. Post your stats and someone will give you an estimate.

If DLM has not started, your attenuation may increase further as usually the line starts on ADSL.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      BT use (on the exchanges they have not yet upgraded) plain ADSL, on Sky you will be on ADSL2+ which always reports a higher attenuation. Apart from this, different routers will nearly always read the attenuation differently. This is why it is difficult to give an estimate on what you will get with Sky until you plug in the Sky router. Post your stats and someone will give you an estimate.

If DLM has not started, your attenuation may increase further as usually the line starts on ADSL.
      My guess is that is already has looking at these stats

Connection Speed 4095 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 db 7.9 db
      Noise Margin 14.3 db 19.2 db

Fingers crossed things get better than this. I dont think the routers would have reported as big a deference with the same stats though. I remember having both the new black routers last time I was with them and the most deference they reported was 1 db between the two.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yes it looks like DLM has started and you are on ADSL2+. Remember to keep plugged in and powered up till the training finishes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

K I will. I had to unplug it once after I first connected (bloody wiring). hopefully that doesn't put their systems off.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Unplugging it the odd time wont affect DLM and if it was really early on then DLM probably wouldnt have started when you did it.
      Going by your noise margin your looking at 7.5mb-8mb, going by attenuation 12mb+.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Unplugging it the odd time wont affect DLM and if it was really early on then DLM probably wouldnt have started when you did it.
      Going by your noise margin your looking at 7.5mb-8mb, going by attenuation 12mb+.
      Yeah I noticed my noise margin in high. Was around 8 with bt though so I'm thinking it's the dlm that is setting it high. Hopefully it'll settle down over the next few days

Thanks

Well the DLM is indeed working away on my line. Last night it must have re-synced. Here is my stats now

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11995 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.5 db 13.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 15.4 db

My Noise Margin came down as predicted. But I didn't expect my Line Attenuation to come down (even only a little). It's probably wishful thinking that it will come down further but you never know. I just hope I don't have to phone them up to ask them to manually configure my line same as I did the last time I had DLM run on my line (in last house). Cant really be arsed with the 30 mins of testing and crap I have to go through with the 1st lvl support. But I will If I have to I guess.
      Last edited by doom; 12-08-10 at 10:20 AM.