Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Odd Test Socket Stats

This is a discussion on Odd Test Socket Stats within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT Incorrect, the picture shows an old style DP, nothing more. An XNTE looks like this :- ...

Dazeon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lemington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Odd Test Socket Stats

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Incorrect, the picture shows an old style DP, nothing more. An XNTE looks like this :-

If the building is equiped with extensions you can simply replace the 1st socket from the XNTE(if you have one!) with an NTE5 and filtered faceplate to gain the benefits of centralised filtering.
      Fair enough, I was just going off what I had already been told on here, several times.

No worries, you learn something new every day.

Now that you've said that, I've noticed several of the houses, mainly the two storey houses have what you've pictured, an XNTE. Whereas the three storey houses all have what the OP originally posted, what you call a DP?

I wonder why?

My housing estate was originally built in 2006.

Yeah, I figured as much Isitme, I am going to try some test socket stats as I still feel that there is something wrong somewhere. The router I am using, a 2Wire/BT2700HGV seems to be reporting an awful lot of errors on my line, but I can't make any sense of them.

I am not convinced everything is wired properly, and/or that my faceplate is working correctly, it doesn't quite sit right on the socket.

By the way RUNITDIRECT, is that new faceplate going out yet, and will it provide better results (I appreciate results vary), the vDSL one?

I apologise for hijacking the thread, just seemed to be a similar scenario.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

2006 was probably when it was still on trail (I'd need to check the exact dates), the vDSL faceplate has been delayed,possibly until Q1 2011!! Hope I didn't sound off correcting you BTW!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

A.D
      A.D is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your attenuation has risen, like the OPs, because you have been moved from G.DMT to ADSL2+. This increases the attenuation by anything from 1.5 to 4 dbs. If you now have a lower speed than you first connected, you should call Sky and ask them to try your line on G.DMT(ADSL). The same applies to the OP. This often performs better on long lines than ADSL2+ which you are now on.
      Do I have to get through to CST to get this done, or can I just phone and ask whoever I get through to first?

That would explain the increases in attenuation at least (or one of them anyway), but I'm still confused as to what could cause the noise margin to be worse from the test socket. And why I'm still on line testing after so long.

@ the XNTE discussion

The house is just new, some of the estate is still being built in fact, so I guess I'm lucky to have got an NTE5 rather than an external one.

Dazeon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lemington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      2006 was probably when it was still on trail (I'd need to check the exact dates), the vDSL faceplate has been delayed,possibly until Q1 2011!! Hope I didn't sound off correcting you BTW!
      Probably why then, they're still building new houses now and they seem to have them fitted.

That's a shame, I'll still grab one when they hit though, always like to have the latest and greatest.

Not at all mate, you know you're stuff, I respect that.
      All is good.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

TBH the XNTE gives zero benefit to the end user-it's all about ease of fault testing for BT Openreach. IMO it was very short sighted NOT to make ADSL modules for it but they aren't interested in that I guess. All that matters is the line can be tested without access to the premesis. First thing I did at home was fit an NTE5 along with NTE2005 filtered faceplate! The XNTE has the bell wire filter built in BTW. Talking of short sighted, the vDSL faceplate currently has no IDC connectors for an ADSL extension, this seems to be one of the issues according to our contacts.

Sorry for going OT!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

but I'm still confused as to what could cause the noise margin to be worse from the test socket. And why I'm still on line testing after so long.
      One of the causes of this is the plug not making proper contact with the socket. This happens quite often on older installations where deposits can build up on the contacts, not so often on new work where there has not been time for this to happen. You could try working the plug in and out a few times, giving it a wiggle at the same time. A small squirt of WD40 can sometimes help.

As far as testing goes, I have seen cases on here where the testing has completed in 3 days and others where it ran on to 20 days. You should give Sky a ring and ask them to look at your line to see if it is having problems. This would be the time to suggest they try G.DMT. Sky seem to have changed their system for line configuration, as according to reports, it is now done by Tier 1, with no need to be passed to the CST.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12