Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Broadband activated, but no ADSL

This is a discussion on Broadband activated, but no ADSL within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My Sky Broadband unlimited activation date was supposed to be yesterday (August 5th), but unfortunately things haven't gone smoothly. The ...

davech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Binley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Broadband activated, but no ADSL

My Sky Broadband unlimited activation date was supposed to be yesterday (August 5th), but unfortunately things haven't gone smoothly. The "Track my order" page changed from "aiming to connect on 05/08/10" to "activated" at 3:15pm, but the router thought there was no ADSL signal at all. I rang Sky at 10pm, and once I'd negotiated past the (very nice) script lady, I spoke to a proper support guy who sent a test signal from the access equipment in the exchange to my phone, expecting to here a "beeping" noise. We both agreed that we heard silence (can you hear silence?), so he decided that the BT engineer hadn't "punched" the twisted pair properly in the exchange. Sky's SLA agreement with BT is apparently 5 working days, but he assured me it would take less time than that (1-2 days).

Today, I got a call from a BT engineer, who told me there was nothing wrong in the exchange and he would come round to the house to check things here. Once at the house, he agreed that everything seemed fine, but admitted that he didn't have any ADSL test equipment, so he couldn't be completely certain whether there was an ADSL signal coming into the house. He told me that Sky have closed the incident report (or whatever they're called) with BT, as no fault was found.

Edit: I should add that I had Pipex broadband before this, and it was working fine on the Wednesday night. Also, my old router was also reporting that there was no ADSL signal before I switched to the Sky one, so it seems to me that there isn't anything wrong at the house.

So, after that long ramble, my question is this: What do I do next?! Clearly I need to get in touch with Sky again, but I'm not sure what to ask them to do next.

2. Advertisement
      telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: Broadband activated, but no ADSL

Call Sky and ask them to check your account. They should have your case on file with all the CST notes. If it's still open ask to be transferred to CST. If it's closed then kindly ask them to open a new case for you. Just make sure you tell the script person that you are in the test socket with a brand new filter.

Hopefully your cst case will still be open though and it was only the engineer incident report that was closed.

Thanks

The plot thickens. After an excruciating time trying to get beyond first line support, I finally spoke to a Technical Support engineer (Andy). He said that a line problem had been reported to BT, NOT a broadband fault. This is apparently as a result of some more tests yesterday's CST guy performed after we got off the phone (even though on the phone he seemed absolutely certain that it was a problem at the exchange). So the engineer who called us today was NOT a broadband engineer, and was just testing the line for voice quality. Andy told me "further tests" now have to be performed to find out what the problem is, and this will involve a BT broadband engineer. It'll take another 72 working hours at least.

I'm getting rather annoyed now.

Thanks

I've been digging through Sky's broadband Terms & Conditions and Code of Practice, and I can't find anywhere any mention of their failure to provision Sky Broadband within a certain period of time after the "activation date". The only thing I've seen is in "My Broadband" on My Sky, where they said it could take up to 3 days beyond the activation date to actually get connected. Can anyone point me to the legalise for this? If you are transferred via a MAC code, have OFCOM set a maximum time for this to take?

Also, I assume it's reasonable to insist that, as I don't have a broadband service at the moment, I shouldn't be paying for it...

Thanks

An update:

It appears that "Andy" on Friday did absolutely nothing, so no BT broadband engineer has been sent out to check the ADSL Krone block in the exchange. I spent another 45 minutes today getting through to yet another CST engineer, Joe (who was fantastic, and very apologetic, btw) and he has definitely raised the correct incident report with BT.

Exciting, isn't it.

Thanks

Still nothing...

telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davech View Post
      Still nothing...
      you should be in a 72h call back queue

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

From the thread, it sounds like a trouble report has been raised to Openreach - as suggested, it'll be up to 72 hours before an appointment booked or update heard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      From the thread, it sounds like a trouble report has been raised to Openreach - as suggested, it'll be up to 72 hours before an appointment booked or update heard.
      Really? The CST guy told me it would be 48 hours. But, then again, I have been told the SLA with BT is 72 hours before, too.

Apparently, this time, it's going to be a "co-op" - i.e. the Sky engineer and BT engineer actually talk to each other, perform tests together and confirm whether the line is working before the incident report can be closed. I wonder why they don't do these as standard so they can get it right first time...

Thanks

The saga continues. The second BT engineer couldn't find a problem either, so this time they're calling out an SFI (Special Fault Investigation?) engineer, who will check everything (again) from the exchange, via the street cabinet to my house. The Sky CST guy made me agree to the "we may charge 144 if we find out it's your fault" terms before booking the SFI chap. There's absolutely no way it can be a problem at my end, though - I had a working broadband connection with my previous ISP before they tried to move me over to Sky. All this is happening tomorrow afternoon, so I'm hoping I'll be able to use the internet without having to resort to mobile technology very soon. Unless Sky have a faulty DSLAM. Or something else I haven't thought of that the SFI bloke won't be able to detect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast