Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hate to ask but can anyone estimate likely speed I should get?

This is a discussion on Hate to ask but can anyone estimate likely speed I should get? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I hate to ask this because I'm sure the same type of questions drive everyone up the wall ...

distantstorm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dundee Steeple
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hate to ask but can anyone estimate likely speed I should get?

Hi there,

I hate to ask this because I'm sure the same type of questions drive everyone up the wall but recently I've noticed a drop in my download speed. Not huge but I notice it. I looked at my router stats and my connection speed it showing at 13309kbps/1048kbps. I know that's a decent speed but it used to be somewhere in the 16000's. Previously when I had a dodgy router Sky capped my download connection and I had a hell of a time getting it put back once it was established it had been a router problem, so I'm hoping they haven't randomly done it again for some reason.

Line attenuation is 19db/9db and Noise margin is 14db/8db. Unfortunately I don't have a clue what it was previously. Router in test socket just now.

Oh, The speed does not vary even when I reset my router completely, I figured there might be some slight variation over time with it which made me think I'd had a forced limit for some reason but it could well be normal for it to be stable.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Hate to ask but can anyone estimate likely speed I should get?

The d/s noise margin would suggest you're capped at 13312kbps. Call up sky and they'll uncap it to where it was previously. I'd suggest anywhere between 16-18mbps.

Thanks

Just called - they've put it back to 16379kpbs now. No idea why they capped it and stupidly I didn't ask - I'll be keeping a beady eye on it in case it happens again though! I think it helped at their end that I was already in test socket, had swapped out filters and was quoting attenuation and noise margin at them rather than just saying my internet had slowed down. Also I got through to Scotland so they understood my Scottish accent :-)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Good to hear - what's the downstream snr now? You could maybe push out a bit more than the cap at 16384.

Thanks

Connection speed 16379/1022
      Line Attenuation 19/9
      Noise Margin 11/10

Do they always put a cap on? And while I'm learning what increments do they go in? I notice you know from my speed what the closest cap is. Wouldn't mind knowing if I call them back.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distantstorm View Post
      Connection speed 16379/1022
      Line Attenuation 19/9
      Noise Margin 11/10

Do they always put a cap on?
      Unless there's a problem with stability, then no.

Default noise margin is 7db, unless sky have changed it on their end. Either way, you've got a bit of noise margin spare. 4db spare is dependant on the line, however - you may find 2mbps more, or a few hundred kbps. In regards to increments, a cap will always be a multiple of 32 - not really important, it just shows I'm sad enough to know these numbers off by heart. You could always call back and get them to uncap it further if you wanted, of course.

Thanks

Not sad at all - I'm always the geek until a friend or workmate needs their computer sorting out, then I'm suddenly their best friend. Don't have much of a clue about line speeds though so you've been very helpful and maybe I'm sad for being interested!

I might give them a ring back to see if they can squeeze a little more out but I did a test download of an ISO from usenet, opening 15 connections and got better speed than I had before problem so I might also just stick and be grateful with what I've got. My sister is stuck on 2Mb/s so I shouldn't complain. Also, I've got Fibrecity rolling down my street in October/November so barring any issues I'm probably not going to be able to resist 100Mb/s and will jump ship at that point :-) Still, was expecting a trauma calling Sky and can't really fault them for speedy fix tonight. Thanks again for help.