Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky Broadband Low Speeds?

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Low Speeds? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 3038 kbps 319 kbps Line Attenuation 27.5db 15.6db Noise Margin 8.1db 7.1db This is ...

andrewj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Low Speeds?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3038 kbps 319 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.5db 15.6db
      Noise Margin 8.1db 7.1db

This is what I get after removing terminal 3. Looks slightly better but not great! The extension one is entirely removed now too.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That is disappointing, it looks like your problem is on the external line. Have a look inside the junction box and see if the screws are tight and not corroded.

How is your voice line? Plug a corded phone directly into the faceplate, dial 17070, option 2 and listen. Any noise on the line?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is disappointing, it looks like your problem is on the external line. Have a look inside the junction box and see if the screws are tight and not corroded.

How is your voice line? Plug a corded phone directly into the faceplate, dial 17070, option 2 and listen. Any noise on the line?
      Is it worth me buying a cheap phone to test it?

Which is the junction box?

And.. when I last spoke to Sky they said there was another exchange that was near. I presume they told me this because they were thinking of trying to switch it? Do you think this could make a difference?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh it just occurred to me that when I said 'and it goes into a little white box then out of the house via brown wire' I've never actually looked inside it.

Here's a photo:

The brown cable from outside is plugged in to terminal 1, 2, 3 and 4. The white one that leads to the telephone socket pictured earlier in the thread is taking up terminal 1 and 2.

Do you think I should take the faceplate off the socket and plug 1 & 2 from the brown wire directly into it and use an extension for router to see what the noise is like?

What tool is best to use to slot the wires back into the terminal points as it seems a bit tricky with fingers..

ps. please ignore all the crap around it. They installed Sky by drilling through the wall and we have no hover yet!

Thanks

The junction box is where the brown wire going outside your house is connected to the wire going to your socket.

If you don't have a corded phone try a cordless, the problem is that cordless phones can cause noise on the line themselves. If you do get noise, it may be worth buying a cheap corded phone to check. It is always worth having a corded phone as the cordless type often do not work during a power cut.

Changing to another exchange may help, simply because you will be using a different wire from the cabinet to the exchange. However, your attenuation is pretty good as it is and should give you a connection of 16-17Mb with a fault free line. Changing to another exchange could be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, it would be better if they could find a fault.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The junction box is where the brown wire going outside your house is connected to the wire going to your socket.

If you don't have a corded phone try a cordless, the problem is that cordless phones can cause noise on the line themselves. If you do get noise, it may be worth buying a cheap corded phone to check. It is always worth having a corded phone as the cordless type often do not work during a power cut.

Changing to another exchange may help, simply because you will be using a different wire from the cabinet to the exchange. However, your attenuation is pretty good as it is and should give you a connection of 16-17Mb with a fault free line. Changing to another exchange could be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, it would be better if they could find a fault.
      I take it my post above is the junction box then.

Also don't have a cordless phone. We have all just graduated and only ever use our mobiles. Will get a landline phone to test it if necessary though as I'd rather do all I can to try and get some decent speeds.

Thanks

That looks like an RF filter. Have a look at the markings in the PCB, if you see RF2, that is your problem. An RF2 filters the ADSL signal and will prevent a proper connection. Check that first please.

Edit, Having had a closer look it appears to be a BT78a which is a standard junction box. Just make sure that the wires are all making good contact. There is a special tool for fixing the wires but a thin plastic credit card does a reasonable job. Do not use a screwdriver.
      Last edited by Isitme; 07-08-10 at 03:26 PM.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

That looks like an RF filter. Have a look at the markings in the PCB, if you see RF2, that is your problem. An RF2 filters the ADSL signal and will prevent a proper connection. Check that first please.
      Says BT78B.. I think it's this: TELEPHONE CABLE CONNECTOR BOX 78B on eBay (end time 29-Jul-10 19:55:41 BST)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Edit, Having had a closer look it appears to be a BT78a which is a standard junction box. Just make sure that the wires are all making good contact. There is a special tool for fixing the wires but a thin plastic credit card does a reasonable job. Do not use a screwdriver.
      Yep they're all making good contact from what I can tell.

Thanks

All I can suggest is that you get a cheap phone and hope there is lots of noise on your line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast