Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

They altered it?

This is a discussion on They altered it? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, so i emailed sky about my connection issues and told them i was capped and wanted my maxed delays ...

KyleF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

They altered it?

Ok, so i emailed sky about my connection issues and told them i was capped and wanted my maxed delays reduced for gaming. So today (2 weeks later, them emailed me about my accoutn details first) i got a reply.

Hi Elizabeth (pretending to be my mum lol)

Thank you for your email in regards to the slow connection you are currently experiencing.
      Having checked your account and with the information you have provided I was able to make some adjustments on your line today and you are now getting a STABLE CONNECTION. Also altered the settings so your son is able to do gaming.
      The speed we can send to your line is totally dependant on the quality of the line, and the distance from the exchange, or your physical set up.
      Can I please ask that you monitor your Broadband over the next 72 hours however I am confident the changes I have made has improved your speed issue.
      Should you still find you are getting a slow connection please do not hesitate to reply to this email or contact the Broadband Technical Team who will be more than happy to help on 08442 410 515

I have seen results in gaming, however...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream (Before)
      Connection Speed 2042 kbps 604 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 36 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 16 db

Connection Speed 2043 kbps 412 kbps (After)
      Line Attenuation 55 db 32 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 16 db

I know the loss of upload could of been down to the max delays being reduced, but i don't see any improvment? But see how she said "stable connection and not improved. Maybe she got the wrong end of the stick, or maybe im an idiot.
      Plus im sure an increase in upload and download speed could also improve my gameplay#;

thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: They altered it?

Your line is still capped, you should see another meg or two with the noise margin you have available, also the upload could double.

This is the problem with doing it via e-mail, much better on the phone.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I tried phoning them a few times with no luck. I'll just email again, im going on holiday on saturday so i will state it clearer and hopefully it should be done when i am back.

Am i correct in saying i will see even better gameplay with a faster upload/download?

telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
      I tried phoning them a few times with no luck. I'll just email again, im going on holiday on saturday so i will state it clearer and hopefully it should be done when i am back.

Am i correct in saying i will see even better gameplay with a faster upload/download?
      2mb should be good enough although your noise margins should allow a bit more. More important is having a good ping rate so if sky can lower your max delays and no errors build then things should improve.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have had my pings lowered and have seen a difference in gaming, i just thought download/upload would help also.

And i just replyed to the email, making my point clearer. I posted my stats and said i have been told by "expirienced people" that i should be able to receive a better connection with my line attentuation and noise margin.

AceOfSpades is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIEB
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

tbh with you. Sometimes the noise margin can be wrong. Either due to a faulty router or incorrect set-up. Trust me I have seen this happen on many occasions. If you want I can check your line speed the next time I'm in work and see what I can do for u. Just send me the number your BB is on in a private message if U want me to look at it for u.

AceOfSpades is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIEB
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
      I have had my pings lowered and have seen a difference in gaming, i just thought download/upload would help also.

And i just replyed to the email, making my point clearer. I posted my stats and said i have been told by "expirienced people" that i should be able to receive a better connection with my line attentuation and noise margin.
      Don't judge all the people at the sky Tier 2 support with the same stick. There are some people there who do know know what they are doing in regards to line speed and things off that sort. If You want I can try and sort out the issue for you as I work for the tier 2 support team. Download speed will help you gaming but I say the max you phone line will probably take is a bout 2.5 Meg at least. The snr reading can sometimes be wrong

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfSpades View Post
      Don't judge all the people at the sky Tier 2 support with the same stick. There are some people there who do know know what they are doing in regards to line speed and things off that sort. If You want I can try and sort out the issue for you as I work for the tier 2 support team. Download speed will help you gaming but I say the max you phone line will probably take is a bout 2.5 Meg at least. The snr reading can sometimes be wrong
      Thanks for the reply, aceofspades

I wasn't trying to diss the tier 2 worker or the team as a whole i just thought maybe there was a misunderstanding, thats all.

I have already sent an email but i will send you my bb number as i see no harm in you having a go?

Thanks alot.