Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Have been on Sky 2 weeks and the speed has gone down a lot?

This is a discussion on Have been on Sky 2 weeks and the speed has gone down a lot? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Went active on changeover to Sky 2 weeks ago, and the speed the first week was 1256 averaging [previous ISP ...

jmd1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01909
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Have been on Sky 2 weeks and the speed has gone down a lot?

Went active on changeover to Sky 2 weeks ago, and the speed the first week was 1256 averaging [previous ISP a little lower] but suddenly it seems to have dropped to average of 600. Have not changed any equipment [not knowledgeable enough!] and according to my details there has been no line testing so don't know why this has happened.
      I have sent an email asking about this as I avoid the phone due to having hearing problem and sometimes it can be difficult.
      Is this sort of drop normal or not - I don't think it is very good!

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Have been on Sky 2 weeks and the speed has gone down a lot?

jmd1
      Hi can you post your router stats How to get your router statistics another good Idea is to post the stats from the Master Socket How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

All new lines go though testing (DLM), can you post your router stats from the current setup and also the TEST socket.

How to get your router statistics

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Thanks

This is from router stats;
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 767 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation 68.0 db 41.0 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 14.4 db

when I had problems once before with other ISP tried the master socket but made no difference and I am not able at present to do this.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You will need a set from the master socket, from your stats you are on a very long line. Has anything else been added to the telephone line (Sky tv box etc)?

Thanks

My router is plugged into master socket and the Sky+ Box is plugged into the extension lead that my phone is also on. I have a filter on both the master socket and the extension lead.
      I cannot at present undo master socket will have to wait until someone is here to assist as it is very tight!

AceOfSpades is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIEB
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Smile Re: Have been on Sky 2 weeks and the speed has gone down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by jmd1 View Post
      This is from router stats;
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 767 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation 68.0 db 41.0 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 14.4 db

when I had problems once before with other ISP tried the master socket but made no difference and I am not able at present to do this.
      2 things, 1) If your router is in an extension socket during the DLM process then the speed is going to get reduced 2) also if ur turning your router off and on during the 10 day training period then the next time you turn the router on the speed is going to drop. Also its best to have the router connected directly from the main socket to avoid these issues, doesn't matter if you used the extension socket with another ISP. Sky is different than other ISP's. So there is no point in saying "It's always been like this with my last ISP and I never had a problem" Trust the extension socket with a sky connection is not the best thing to go for. Have the router connected to the master socket with ADSL filter frist (BT filter if you have one) Also if your using more than one phone socket in the house with other devices connected to it make sure there is a filter going in first to the socket before that devivce. Dnt use an extened ADSL cable as that is just like using the extension socket. The further along the line the BB singal has to to go to reach the router the slower the throughput speed is going to be. Take my advice on this as I've been in this job for 4 years and I'm in the tier 2 department and have dealt with this issue more than once. Any problems email me back.

AceOfSpades is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIEB
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmd1 View Post
      My router is plugged into master socket and the Sky+ Box is plugged into the extension lead that my phone is also on. I have a filter on both the master socket and the extension lead.
      I cannot at present undo master socket will have to wait until someone is here to assist as it is very tight!
      Sounds like the Sky TV is hardwired into the master socket (which is typical off a Sky eng) If that is the case get sky to send out an eng to unhardwire the sky tv from the master socket. They can give you one free service call which every customer is entiled too, and when I say one free service call, it means the next time you want an eng out they will charge you for it.

Thanks

No, the Sky TV box is plugged into the extension lead that I use for telephone - the master socket has a filter plugged into it and from that is the router wire and the extension lead.
      It is not hardwired as the engineer said the Sky TV Box did not need that - he said it was fine attached to this extension lead.
      I have not turned the router off at all since going active on 20/7. When ever I looked at my broadband details on "mysky" it has never shown that line testing was going on.
      I do not use broadband for gaming but would still like a reasonable speed. I know I live a distance from the exchange. But I did not realise that by having "free" broadband I would drop in speed so much.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Do you have any other phone sockets in the house? If so then the stats from the TEST socket will indicate what is happening.

DLM has left your line on the ADSL2 profile, long lines such as yours do better on the G.DMT profile but the TEST socket stats will indicate if you can get more speed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast