Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sudden go slow on my conenction (ping speed)

This is a discussion on Sudden go slow on my conenction (ping speed) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; All I have the Sagem router on Sky BB Unltd package. Have had sync speed of around 11.5mb down and ...

mnavarra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hengoed
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sudden go slow on my conenction (ping speed)

All

I have the Sagem router on Sky BB Unltd package. Have had sync speed of around 11.5mb down and 0.9mb up for ages - and when wireless and going to speedtest.net - i often get 8-10mb down and 0.7/0.8mb up with a Ping of 30-50ms.

today i noticed it all seem slow with no obvious reasons or changes made. The speeds on wireless down were 5mb and up 0.4mb but Ping was 463 or 512ms! What could be the cause/issue here?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sudden go slow on my conenction (ping speed)

Wireless suffers from interference and this can cause speeds and pings to drop like a stone due to data having to be retransmitted etc.

For moving around data or gaming, wireless is not a good way to do it, much better with a wire or homeplugs.

If you must stick with wireless, try changing the channel number, start at 13 and work down.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 04-08-10 at 01:18 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sudden go slow on my conenction (ping speed)

There is a chance that a new network has started in your neighbourhood which is using the same channel as you, this can badly effect your wireless speed. Download Inssider from the link below, use it to find the channels in use in your area. Set your channel to one as far from those in use as possible. If all the main channels 1, 6,and11 are in use, either set your channel to the one with the weakest signal or channel 13.

I am not sure if this will also improve your ping, but I would say that speedtest.net is not the most accurate way to check it. Try opening a command prompt type ping jolt.co.uk. You can also use any other fast server which returns a ping such as BBC or Virgin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.