Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mac code nightmare, can you help!

This is a discussion on Mac code nightmare, can you help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; 9Hi, I am having a bit of a nightmare trying to switch broadband from SKY to BT and was wondering ...

Horsey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Mac code nightmare, can you help!

9Hi,

I am having a bit of a nightmare trying to switch broadband from SKY to BT and was wondering if anyone could help.

Background:
      I have Sky TV, line rental, calls and broadband. My monthly bills are 120+. My phone line is only capable of 3.5 Mbps for broadband and this is pretty much what I used to get. Then all of a sudden it dropped down to about 2.0 Mbps and around the same time (perhaps a month or so earlier) Sky automatically upgraded me on to the most expensive package. So all of a sudden I was getting a slower speed for more money. I complained but to no avail.

I have had enough of Sky so on 13th July I called Sky to cancel my TV package (well reduce it to just Sky+ at 10/month) and I also informed them that I was switching my line rental and broadband to BT (fibre at hopefully around 17.5Mbps). I requested a mac code during this conversation.

The problem
      On the 29th July my line was switched from Sky to BT so last Saturday (1st August) I tried to apply online for BT fibre but they required a mac code from Sky. I phoned Sky and the guy I spoke to said there had been a problem and it has been raised with the back office. He tried to actually cancel my broadband and to re-request the mac code but this failed. He asked me to call back on Monday. I did this, spoke to someone else for about 20 minutes who then transferred me on to someone else who knew nothing about it and they cut me off. I then called back and spoke to someone else who promised to email the back office and call me back when they get a response.

So at the moment I cannot get my mac code to transfer to BT and I can't cancel my broadband with Sky. There is (according to the Sky reps I have spoken to) nothing I can do.

Anyone have a similar story or any advice?

Thanks.

Phil.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Mac code nightmare, can you help!

It looks like a cancel has been put on your broadband before a MAC was obtained. Once the broadband is cancelled you cannot generate a MAC. This has happened to several in the past and the advice is always ask for your MAC first and never mention MAC and cancel in the same conversation. I doubt there is much that can be done except wait till your broadband ceases then get BT to take the Sky tag taken off your line. When that is done, BT Infinity will be able to take over the line and install your broadband. This usually means a down time of 10-14 days, but BTI may be able to speed it up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Horsey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for that.

The problem is though that Sky can't cancel my broadband either. If it is in the process of being cancelled then it is taking forever (already 15 working days).

I will call them again tonight to see if I can get any further.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Sky and their SVBN network, you would have though they would have sorted out the proceedures by now

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If it was on the SVBN it is a bit strange that the broadband is still working after the line was returned to BT. I would have thought it would have been cut off with the phone move. Possibly it has still been on the BT equipment or the phone move would not have been so easy. Normally all sorts of obstacles are put in the way of a move from SVBN, like refusing to release the phone number and telling you it would cost Xs to go back to BT. This does not seem to have happened here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.