Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

homeplug suddenly slow?

This is a discussion on homeplug suddenly slow? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Today my pc stopped working, got the power supply changed, it's working again now. Brought it home, plugged it in ...

thedon_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

homeplug suddenly slow?

Today my pc stopped working, got the power supply changed, it's working again now.

Brought it home, plugged it in just as it was before. I have a homeplug connected to my pc. It's plugged in to a surge protector. I know your not supposed to but i got full speeds and don't have another availible plug.

When i started my computer up my internet was really slow. Did a speed test and i'm getting 1mb. Did the same test on my laptop via wireless and i'm getting 6mb.

Why has my homeplug suddenly started working slowly? I even tried another one in it's place but it's the same.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: homeplug suddenly slow?

It could be your new PSU that is causing the problem. To rule this out, switch off and unplug your PC then try a test with your laptop using the ethernet cable you use for your PC.

Very often Homeplugs will refuse to work at all when used through a surge protector. Something to do with the protection built into the plug.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yeah surge protection is a no no with homeplugs.

The homeplug is using the 240V mains voltage as a carrier wave for the data, it's very similar to how radio works.

But surge protectors stop power spikes by smoothing out the 240V mains voltage to a clean wave, unfortuantely it also means that it also cleans out the data as that can be considered as deliberate small power fluctuations.

Also your new PSU may be affecting the homeplug, I use my homeplugs on separate cheap extention leads with no surge protection and they are the closest to the mains plug in the circuit.

Also why did your PC PSU blow? It could have been that the PSU going kaput could have possibly damaged the homeplug.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

thedon_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No idea why the supply went. The guy at the repair shop said it's just from normal use. the computer is over 3 years old.

I shutdown and unplugged the pc and then connected the homeplug to my laptop. Got my full speed so it does look like it's got something to do with the PC.

Cheap extension leads sound like a good idea

gp14 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lightbulb Re: homeplug suddenly slow?

Quote Originally Posted by thedon_1 View Post
      I shutdown and unplugged the pc and then connected the homeplug to my laptop. Got my full speed so it does look like it's got something to do with the PC.
      FYI I have a cheap ebay replacement PSU for an LCD monitor, whenever it's on it screws up my mains networking. Luckily I only need to use that monitor occasionally.

Seems like power supplies can indeed mess up your homeplugs etc (Mine are dlan).