Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exchange has been enabled - or has it?

This is a discussion on Exchange has been enabled - or has it? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been on Sky Connect for just over a year now and I'm quite pleased with it but, of course, ...

ntbond is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01495
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exchange has been enabled - or has it?

I've been on Sky Connect for just over a year now and I'm quite pleased with it but, of course, I'd rather be on Sky Broadband.
      Looking at Sam Knows website today, it says the SKY LLU was fitted on 16th July - ie a couple of weeks ago. So I tried the Sky Broadband checker and sure enough, it said I was in a Sky Broadband area (it's always said I wasn't before).
      So I phoned Sky to see how to upgrade, gave my phone no and postcode and they said that Sky BB is still not available in my area yet. When I told them that their own checker said it was available, they said something like "yes it might have been updated but not enough people have requested it yet, so you can't have it" or something like that. That sounds a bit strange, but are they telling the truth or are they trying to pull a fast one, as my bill will go down from 17 a month to either 7.50 or nothing (as I have Sky Talk).

Thanks,
      Nigel

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Exchange has been enabled - or has it?

Phone them up and tell them you are on Connect and want moved to the LLU service or you will be looking elsewhere for a supplier.

If you are on the Abertillery exchange according to Samknowes that was enabled in 2007.
      SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Abertillery (SWABD) Exchange

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Actually I'm on the Ebbw Vale exchange - I should have said that above.
      SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Ebbw Vale (SWEBY) Exchange
      As you can see it was only updated a couple of weeks ago. Before I threaten to cancel I wondered if anyone knew of any reason why Sky would say I can't have it when Sam Knows and their own broadband checker say that it is enabled.

telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Perhaps the capacity isn't available or there may be other providers in the queue ahead of sky. Normally when LLU is available Sky will automatically switch you over to their own service and inform you accordingly. Short of cancelling and being re-provisioned it looks like you will have to wait it out (or go with somebody else).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

or there may be other providers in the queue ahead of sky
      How could any one else be ahead of Sky on a Sky LLU exchange?

If you have been on Connect for over a year you should get moved over very soon. Sky have a habit of giving places to new joiners before those on the waiting list, this has been proved to happen previously., so keep at them. Very often the Sky support agents are the last to know about anything, it would not be surprising if they don't know the exchange is upgraded. The previous advice you were given "yes it might have been updated but not enough people have requested it yet, so you can't have it" show a bit of ignorance, this would only apply to an exchange which has not been upgraded. Sky want to move people to their own line as soon as they can, Connect, although it is expensive to you actually looses money for Sky.

Phone them back and tell them you want moved, call them every day until you get someone who will take notice.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

ntbond
      Hi The thing is, It has only been enabled for 18 days and only has 8,704 residential premises and 375 non-residential premises.
      Sky / Easynet: Enabled as of 16/07/2010
      Do as Isitme says.
      Phone them back and tell them you want moved, call them every day until you get someone who will take notice.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. It was really just coincidence that I found out today that it had been enabled a couple of weeks ago - I haven't checked for a long time. As for the reply the Sky agent gave me, I may have got it wrong but to be honest, he didn't really sound like he knew what he was talking about - and so neither did I But now I know it's available, I will keep at them and see what happens.

Cheers,
      Nigel

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

ntbond
      Hi you can ask why you were not told that the exchange had been Sky LLU and that you were told when you joined Sky Broadband as soon as there was LLU in your exchange you would be moved over to Local Loop Unbundled from the connect package. Which you had been on for over a year. Can you tell me when will I be moved over (As long as you ask Sky When will you be moved over). They have to tell you when more than likely they will start to move you over straight away. Good luck hope you enjoy LLU

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      ntbond
      Hi you can ask why you were not told that the exchange had been Sky LLU and that you were told when you joined Sky Broadband as soon as there was LLU in your exchange you would be moved over to Local Loop Unbundled from the connect package. Which you had been on for over a year. Can you tell me when will I be moved over (As long as you ask Sky When will you be moved over). They have to tell you when more than likely they will start to move you over straight away. Good luck hope you enjoy LLU
      I think the point is that Sky told me, after checking themselves, that it hasn't yet been enabled. When I told them their website said it has ben enabled, they made some dodgy sounding excuse. I haven't had a chance to ring back yet today but I will soon. Thanks.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I don't know for sure but Sky will need their own systems to recognise that LLU has been provisioned. I think SamKnows uses the BT database, which should list every provider in their exchanges even if they don't have control. So it's quite possible that Sky's own systems will take time to be updated, but that's no reason why you shouldn't keep on at them until they do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast