Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

*sob* can't do anything most days

This is a discussion on *sob* can't do anything most days within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Perhaps I've been spoilt by cable, and this is just how ADSL is, but I'm getting so frustrated by this... ...

JimJimJim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

*sob* can't do anything most days

Perhaps I've been spoilt by cable, and this is just how ADSL is, but I'm getting so frustrated by this...

Internet browsing is very slow, pages take painfully long times to load, and about 30%-40% of the time don't load at all (site could not be found messages in 3 different browsers).

My other half spends time on facebook, and plays farmville on it. As soon as farmville is playing, that's it - I can't do anything at all, so we have to share the internet like it's a baton, only one of us can use it at once.

Even when browsing using multiple tabs, it's like watching the slowest game of domino's you've ever seen, one tab taking an age to complete, then the next gets to start, takes ages to complete, and then the next...you get the picture.

And as for playing games, I like to play counter-source strike and left 4 dead 2, but all I get is about 30 seconds of play before lag kicks in for 5-20 seconds. Then I get clean play for 30 seconds again before another lag spike. It's just horrible.

I've sent support requests to Sky, but haven't had a response for weeks.

So any ideas what I can do? Right now we're considering just chucking the whole sky package (phone/tv/broadband) because it just seems to be a pile of overpriced crap. One of our neighbours recently went to BT and got the cable offering, and loves it - great speed, low latency, stable connection - exactly what he pays for.

Here's some info for those that understand it...be grateful of any assistance.

Wireless Router: DG834GT
      Firmware: V1.03.87

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3954 kbps 589 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.5 db 38.4 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 10.0 db

My wireless router is the only one in range of my PC, I appear to have 99% signal strength and 54Mbps throughput.

2. Advertisement
      DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: *sob* can't do anything most days

With your connection speed you have more than enough bandwidth for apps like Facebook & Farmville on multiple computers.

• Can you plug the computer into the router using the yellow cable (to rule out wireless issues)
      • Have you got a current antivirus program/subscription installed on ALL your computers and ensured a scan has run recently (to rule out nasty’s using up all your bandwidth)?
      • Try also taking the stats from your Master Socket in case something is causing a lot of interference (How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket)
      • Finally have you popped next door for a cup of tea and to try out the Utopian BT broadband to see if it is much faster on your computer?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply DesertRaven.

I did try the cable for a while, and it seemed to make no difference to the lag/latency problems. Not been able to try both laptops by cable yet.

We've both got up to date AV on our laptops, and scans are run regularly. My girlfriend runs McAfee, and I have G Data on mine (although I switch the firewall off just in case it's causing problems).

We don't seem to have a master socket, just a single-faced socket (looks like an extension) but it is actually the only socket in the house. It's a 20 year old house, and I don't think the sockets have ever been changed. There are no extension sockets or any other wireless devices. All that's plugged into the phone socket is a single handset and the wireless router (via a filter).

And yes, our neighbour has let me use his broadband, and it's brilliant For a short period we had four computers all using it and it flew along Like I said, low latency, really high speeds (about 16-18mb), lots of concurrency - nirvana I'm not jealous at all.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like your neighbour is on BT's new FTTC package. With your very high attenuation you are never going to get anywhere near his speed with Sky and if he were on ADSL he would not even get your speed.

Can you ensure that only one laptop is connected, preferably by ethernet go here and run a speed test - Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester Now start the laptop in Safe Mode with Networking and repeat the test. Compare the results, is there a difference?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like your neighbour is on BT's new FTTC package. With your very high attenuation you are never going to get anywhere near his speed with Sky and if he were on ADSL he would not even get your speed.

Can you ensure that only one laptop is connected, preferably by ethernet go here and run a speed test - Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester Now start the laptop in Safe Mode with Networking and repeat the test. Compare the results, is there a difference?
      Thanks for the reply IsItMe....

Attenuation is the rate of signal loss, right? Thankfully I wasn't expecting to get the same as the neighbour, but am thinking of moving to BT and that package to get the benefit of it.

Both speed tests (safe-mode/non-safe-mode) reported pretty much the same results:

Non-Safe Mode: 03 August, 2010 14:14:54 3416 Kbps 472 Kbps
      Safe-Mode: 03 August, 2010 14:08:50 3400 Kbps 489 Kbps

Or am I missing something?

Appreciate you guys trying to help me out

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Or am I missing something?
      No that is as it should be, in fact it is a good result for your sync speed. You can expect to loose around 15% to overheads, yours works out about 14%.

That should be more than enough speed to browse comfortably, so I am not sure what is happening. Having your Delay reduced may improve your gaming but it will not help your browsing speed. If you have not done so phone Sky and ask them to reduce your Delay to improve your ping for gaming. You might also want to try another browser Google Chrome is reputed to be pretty fast, although I have not used it since it was released, I am happy with Firefox.
      Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac and Linux

In saying that, if you can get on a BT Infinity package, take it, it may cost a bit more, but you will get much more than you would with Sky, or any other ADSL provider.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again IsItMe...

I am using Chrome most of the time, my gf uses Internet Explorer 8. I did put a call in with Sky last Thursday, but not heard back yet. I'll try again and see if we can just get games to work...

Thanks again (will be thinking about whether I want to commit to an 18 month contract with BT!!)