Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed drop after Line Testing

This is a discussion on Speed drop after Line Testing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; In the first week of July I noticed a significant drop in speed on my connection. After checking on the ...

strivici is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch (SWWXC)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Speed drop after Line Testing

In the first week of July I noticed a significant drop in speed on my connection. After checking on the Sky website I discovered the following message on my Account:

"Line connection testing completed on 06/07/2010
      Download Speed
      Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to
      3.0Mb (3072Kb)
      Upload Speed
      Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to
      0.3Mb (256Kb)"

I was surprised about this because before this I was connected at a stable connection speed of approx. 5-8Mbit downstream at all times. As I looked online for a source to this problem i discovered this whole DLM thing and presumed that DLM was to do with the line testing they were performing.

I also discovered that Sky needed the router to be constantly connected whilst they performed the testing. But unfortunately, I was having flooring installed in my house during that week of testing and the router was disconnected several (lengthy) times over a few days.They could have emailed me if it was that important for me to remain connected.

With this information I emailed Sky asking about the testing and my speed. After about a week there was no response so I phoned up and talked with a customer advisor about my problem. I was then told to plug my router into the master socket so he could do a quick test. After this he did something and I was appearing to be connected at 8Mbits at the router, and was happy as I presumed he lifted the cap I was under.

However, after that I realised that the speed I was actually getting was significantly slower than the speed the router was connected at. I know the router statistic speed is always going to be higher than the actual speed. But the actual speed is really poor and it affects my internet experience immensely.

NB. Below stats are taken behind new extension wiring.

Router Stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5048 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.5 db 21.2 db
      Noise Margin 15.0 db 16.0db

Speed Tests
      (Taken early in the morning - Can give peak time speed tests if it's more useful..)

The skyuser speedtest showed 792kbps downstream and 572kbps upstream.

Other Details

Connection wiring is fairly new, BT I-Plate is installed, etc. and I live just under a mile away from my exchange (Whitchurch, Cardiff).

Ever since this testing, the big things i use the internet for... playing games, streaming videos and listening to music online have become direly slow and i've had to pause streaming content and let it finish buffering every time I want to watch something.

I emailed Sky again last week about it.. but once again their online support seems useless... no reply. I'm hoping the community here can help me with my next step.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Speed drop after Line Testing

Speed test.net is not to be relied upon, your line is capped at 5Mb for some reason. Are you on wireless?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Remove the iPlate and plug directly into the test socket. Post your stats from there. Something has caused your line to be capped low.

Ethernet or wireless?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Laptop connected wirelessly and PC connected via ethernet - obviously a slight improvement with the ethernet.. but still a very slow speed.

Would it not have anything to do with the line being disconnected during testing?

Will test router with test socket in a bit (no plug sockets nearby, need to find extension cable)

Current speed however (SkyUser - Speed test)

We have detected that your ISP is Sky - Your current download speed is 696Kbps, and your current upload speed is 619Kbps.

I notice that I'm getting higher than average upload speeds for a Sky Customer though :S. Any reason for this?

EDIT: Just tested it with the ethernet-connected PC and got near same upload speed, and double the download speed, which is still slow (1200kbps) considering the relatively low level of line attenuation surely? I heard that I should be capable of far higher(?). My mate, on same exchange (in next street over in fact) gets 9000-11000Kbps downstream on his router with another ISP (TalkTalk).. and thats behind some extension wiring.
      Last edited by strivici; 31-07-10 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks

Do you know anyone with a Sky router you could borrow to test your speed. Low throughput in more than one device is usually down to a faulty router or a problem at the exchange. I suggest trying the router first as the second is notoriously difficult to get fixed. Your attenuation should give you 10-11 Mb, that's why I suggest trying the Test socket. Even with your present cap lifted it does not look like you will get that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I don't know anyone with a Sky router I can borrow. I know people with spare routers which are not locked to any ISP. Should I try using one of those sky login generator I've seen dotted around this site to login using one of those?

Thanks

Should I try using one of those sky login generator I've seen dotted around this site to login using one of those?
      Probably worth a try, it could prove whether the Sky router is at fault.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Just did a socket test with current router... appears the router is fine...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8191 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.0 db 20.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 16.0 db

Speed is up by about 3mbps downstream, and by about 150-200kbps upstream

Line Attenuation is basically the same and Noise Margin is down 8 db downstream, but the same db for upstream.

Speed Test (sky user one)

Much better (Done on Laptop - Wirelessly)

We have detected that your ISP is Sky - Your current download speed is 6872Kbps, and your current upload speed is 625Kbps.

So thats more of an expected throughput for the router sync speed i'm getting.. However the upload speed doesn't differ much from before.

From all this can anyone figure out why my speed would drop so much from the other socket? Can someone explain the significance of the change in Noise Margin at the test socket?

Your attenuation should give you 10-11 Mb, that's why I suggest trying the Test socket. Even with your present cap lifted it does not look like you will get that.
      So is there any way I can get that kind of speed on my line?

Cheers

Thanks

Line Attenuation is basically the same and Noise Margin is down 8 db downstream, but the same db for upstream.
      The noise margin has been used improving your sync speed. The default margin for Sky is just under 7dbs. Any noise margin you have above this is potential speed. There is no fixed figure to say how much 1 db is worth in speed, but generally it is between 300 and 1000kb/s. Can you confirm that you are plugged into the Test socket using nothing but the cable supplied by Sky? If you are it looks like you are getting as much as you can under the present external line conditions.

Your best bet would be to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate. This will ensure you get the best your line can handle.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

So what would you say the issue is that is affecting my speed over the extension? Why would it affect my throughput so drastically?

And yes, I plugged into the test socket using a microfilter and the supplied cable.

I'm approximately 1.2km (Straight line distance) from my exchange (and yeah, I know i'm starting to nitpick a bit now). But shouldn't I be capable of getting higher sync speeds than 8mbps at my test socket? Doesn't matter that much, i'm perfectly happy with that sync speed.. i'm just a little curious is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast