Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No wireless connection...but all the other laptops work fine

This is a discussion on No wireless connection...but all the other laptops work fine within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I urgently need some help regarding my wireless connection with sky. I have just received a new sky router ...

Tatjana is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No wireless connection...but all the other laptops work fine

Hi, I urgently need some help regarding my wireless connection with sky.

I have just received a new sky router and it seems to work fine with the other laptops in the house except mine. I have got an Acer laptop (not sure what make, but it is around 2 years old) which used to work fine with sky broadband around a month ago. However now I can't get any connection when I try connecting wireless..it says that the key i have entered is wrong (but the same key worked with the other laptops).

It works however fine when I try connecting with an Ethernet cable.

Has anyone got any advice? Is there something wrong with my laptop or with the settings of the router?

Would be great if someone can help me :-)

2. Advertisement
      Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: No wireless connection...but all the other laptops work fine

Is it set to the same security protocol as the router (e.g. WEP/WPA-PSK/WPA-TKIP)? Will it connect with no security? Updates can sometimes throw things out of sync. It won't do any harm to remove everything and try setting up from scratch.

Tatjana is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi thanks for your answer,

I have followed all the steps written in the handbook and set it for WPA-PSk. I have switched all my firewalls and anti virus programs off but still can't connect :-(

What do you mean by removing everything.. do you mean my updates? How do I do it? Would a system restore help?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unlikely, but it could be your AV/Firewall software that is not recognising the new router. Try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if it will connect. If it does, uninstall and reinstall your security software.

Changing to the Windows wireless manager, if you are not using it, may help.

Also go to the Acer website and download the latest drivers for your wireless adapter. Acer use both Atheros and Broadcom chipsets so you would have to discover which one you have. Find that using Belerac. Drivers can sometimes corrupt, so it is still worthwhile installing the latest available, even if you appear to have them installed.

Acer- Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads
      Belerac- Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.