Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Connect, Pipex, Speed

This is a discussion on Sky Connect, Pipex, Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Recieved Sky equipment a few days ago, the day after activation, having migrated from Pipex. The pipex connection still works ...

deadwing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sutton Elms
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Connect, Pipex, Speed

Recieved Sky equipment a few days ago, the day after activation, having migrated from Pipex. The pipex connection still works with old equipment and so does the Sky with new equipment (ADSL connection to phone lie from modems changed for each ISP), is it normal for both ISPs to be available?
      Pipex did state that I needed to give 30 days notice so will it stop working then?

Also very disappointed with speed of connection. Speed test with Pipex gives download in the range 1600-1800 kbps, Sky 700-900 kbps.
      I wondered if this was the Netgear box, so using methods described elsewhere, obtained my Sky username and password. I put these plus DNS settings into old non-sky equipment and managed to connect to Skybroadband. Speed tests still in the lower range above. Changed settings back to Pipex login and again speed tests in the higher range above.

In short used the same computer, wires, router, modem, phone line and the download speed from Sky was half that of Pipex.

Now back to using Netgear box to connect to Sky, taking the speed hit for now, any comments or help welcome.

2. Advertisement
      RoyMW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heaton Moor
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Switch Pipex to Sky - Proxy server details ???

Hi Deadwing,

I also have switched from Pipex 2MB to Sky BB 8MB and so far have been frustrated and disappointed. Speed often slower on Sky and I am told I can only use McAfee AV... So question, which AV are you using? If you're using ZoneAlarms (which Pipex recommended and I'm happy with) have you had a problem with getting AV Definition updates because of Sky's Proxy server ? I've asked Sky for details of their Proxy and they deny having one (which a test of McAfee firewall indicates is wrong, there is a proxy).

So any advice ?

Best,

Roy

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi Roy

You dont have to use Mcafee, personnally I would not touch it with a barge pole

If you want a free firewall try Zonealarm, if you are prepared to buy one, I use Kerio, about 10.00 a year and is excellent

Antivirus i use NOD32 free trial for a month on there website.

Try doing a temporary disable of Mcafee and do another speedtest

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

deadwing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sutton Elms
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have been using McAfee AV and Firewall for over a year on Pipex, no problem, updates fine.

old mcdonal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      hello all,

im too not sure wot is going on - was on pipex.... well still am. and signed up to sky connect.
      my exchange was upgraded/migrated on 30th september, by bt and the bt tracker reported sucessfully migrated/upgraded. but i have not received the sky router have chased this up so should receive this shortly. the thing is i can still access the net with my current router but using pipex's logon and password details, i did change the password to see what will happen, and the internet failed. so i have been upgraded as my adsl web page shows 8123Kbps as before i was on pipexs 2mb so it showed 2123kbps. so if i get my sky router will i be on sky adsl, wot the h@ll is going on, wot shall i do, i should have been disconnected, dont get me wrong im happy ive got some sort of connection.

Hornet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne, SDESTBR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800N
      Thanks
      It depends on the exchange as some people have found that your previous isp continues for a couple of days after your Sky activation and also it depends if Sky have told you current ISP of your migration.

Ref pluggin in your Sky router to see if you get a connection, you might do but only trying will tell, when you try and it works don't forget to inform your ISP.
      Last edited by Hornet; 01-10-06 at 08:18 PM.

VRStu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I migrated from Pipex and the changeover occured this friday just gone. My Pipex is still connected too which is handy just to smooth the changeover of email details.

I also followed instructions on obtaining login info from the supplied router and am now using my own equipment.

I have found spee to be extremely variable, mainly dependant on time of day.

My Pipex connection was only 1mb so the sky is an improvment in the most.
      Stu...

Hornet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne, SDESTBR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800N
      Thanks
      Cool thats the main thing. My exchange is meant to be 5.5 - 8mb but get 11 but find I have to reboot router otherwise get it just over 7mb.

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      I was changed over on Friday 29th and my Pipex account details continued to work until I rebooted the router. No Sky router as yet and from what I could ascertain on Friday it ain't been sent for dispatch yet.

My Pipex credentials failed to work after a router reboot, lesson learned there!!

VRStu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I can still get in to my pipex and i'm still recieving email.

With regards to the router you would do well to chase them as mine was also due to be here and wasn't so I banged a few drums and managed to get them to deliver a router with an engineer, they carry them on the van.
      Stu...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast